[SOLVED] Burnt smell and pc won’t turn on.

Kai_6_

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Good evening, I’ve been overclocking my cpu and gpu today and iI think i may have damaged my computer in the process.

After playing some games for a while i got a few crashes, undid the gpu overclock to check if that was the thing at fault when my pc started making electrical crackling noise, it shut off and there’s a burnt smell. Now I can’t get it to turn on anymore. How can I find out what’s at fault here and what I can do to fix it.

It was an older gigabyte 980ti so it’s time was probably running out anyway. Can any of you help me?

Best regards, Tousain.

Solution
Good evening, I’ve been overclocking my cpu and gpu today and iI think i may have damaged my computer in the process.

After playing some games for a while i got a few crashes, undid the gpu overclock to check if that was the thing at fault when my pc started making electrical crackling noise, it shut off and there’s a burnt smell. Now I can’t get it to turn on anymore. How can I find out what’s at fault here and what I can do to fix it.

It was an older gigabyte 980ti so it’s time was probably running out anyway. Can any of you help me?

Best regards, Tousain.
You might find it funny...but follow your nose!

First first...disconnect from mains. Then just start sniffing around for the acrid/coppery burnt smell of fried...

Best regards, Tousain.
You might find it funny...but follow your nose!

First first...disconnect from mains. Then just start sniffing around for the acrid/coppery burnt smell of fried electronics.

My first place would be at the vents of the PSU as that's a highly likely suspect. The next would be the GPU after pulling out of the system.

Wherever you find the smell the strongest, the burnt part(s) are pretty close.

Solution