[SOLVED] Burnt smell coming from specific area?

Nov 26, 2021
So earlier today while reading a web comic my screen went black and shortly after my pc shut off and on about 3 times before actually posting. Every time after that I'd go get to the desktop and the same thing would happen within the same minute I logged in.
I turned on safe mode and it seemed to not be a problem, couldn't find any answers in event viewer or online so I restarted out of safe mode to watch closer when it shut off, but it didn't. So the problem totally disappears on its own.

Fast forward a few hours and my pc is emitting a burning smell, when I track the source, it's where my motherboard connects to my psu. The connection there is very hot compared to everything else and only continues to heat up over time while it's on, it seems. My graphically intensive games are suddenly quite laggy now and the connection heats up even while the pc is idle. What the heck is wrong here?

Specs:
Amd fx 8350 processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT motherboard
16 gb RAM ddr3
Nvidia 1050 ti
EVGA 400w psu
1 tb hdd and 500GB crucial ssd

Note: The only location of that burning smell is literally the on/off charge port on the motherboard. Nowhere else has the smell, it's extremely localized to that spot.

Solution
There are multiple options here. A very cheap PSU and a budget motherboard that is notorious for being pushed into an early grave by using 125W CPUs on it, something which it wasn't originally designed to do. The most likely culprit is motherboard damage.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There are multiple options here. A very cheap PSU and a budget motherboard that is notorious for being pushed into an early grave by using 125W CPUs on it, something which it wasn't originally designed to do. The most likely culprit is motherboard damage.

Solution
Nov 26, 2021
This is very useful information, which motherboard should I replace it with? I will be using amd processors for quite some time, and should I replace the psu? It cost me 150 back when I first built the pc

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS