Burnt smell from Computer (CPU?)

Hornedal

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I was just browsing the web on my computer (specs bellow) when I started to smell something burnt, just when I was about to check my PC turned off. As I got closer to the PC I could smell it more clear.

Now I've opened up the PC and pinpointed the smell coming from either the CPU or the CPU cooler. But becuase the PC turned off I'm sure it has something to do with the CPU. I don't think its anything with the PSU since 1. it doesnt smell and 2. it can be the 8 or 12 pin but the mother board lights up. By the way, I cannot turn on the pc again, just turns off. I had this PC for around 1.5 years and its been running on very stable temperatures. What part do you think it is?

Specs list
CPU: i7 4790K Haswell
CPU cooler: H100i
GPU: GTX 780
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97
PSU: Corsair AX 760
Case: Corsair 750D
Ram: Corsair Veng. 16GB

Solution
G

It could shut your PC down if PSU sees that there is a shot-circuit it your PC
G

I'd say some of the shipping plastic wasn't removed and burned (that stuff that covers logos and scratchy parts), but since the PC won't turn on, it might me that PSU is bad. If you can see lights and it spins up, doesn't mean it' working properly.

Hornedal

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

I can test with another PSU and see if it starts up. About the plastic, it would be weird since ive used it almost 2 years.

G

It might be something about amps and other stuff as well. And yes, it could be cooler, that would make sence why pc turned off and won't turn on again (due to automatic powering off) but it still wouldn't explain that smell.

Hornedal

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Update: I removed the PSU and tried tried with another I had, I only connected the 8 and 12 pin and forgot to remove the GPU. the pc booted up but immediely the GPU started smoking from one of the exhausts, it smelled exactly like the burnt smell. I romeved that PSU and plugged in the original PSU (I also made sure to remove the GPU) and it worked now. For some reason the GPU must have turned off the PC?

G

It could shut your PC down if PSU sees that there is a shot-circuit it your PC

Solution

TRENDING THREADS