News Bursting PC Inventories Might Stoke Aggressive Discounts and Promotions

InvalidError

Titan
Being "confident they can use 80-90% of their ICs in next-gen PCs" is one thing, demand for next-gen PCs is another. Having parts for next-gen stuff most of the market is going to skip because they just had their wallets raped during COVID isn't going to help OEMs much. The downward trend that lead to the current over-supply is unlikely to end any time soon.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Being "confident they can use 80-90% of their ICs in next-gen PCs" is one thing, demand for next-gen PCs is another. Having parts for next-gen stuff most of the market is going to skip because they just had their wallets raped during COVID isn't going to help OEMs much. The downward trend that lead to the current over-supply is unlikely to end any time soon.
The problem is not just oversupply and bad state of economy. The issue is also that OEMs are refusing to sell below 10% price cuts.

Buying a 3070 or 3080 for 899€ currently is just not financially clever. Especially with energy prices rising and the 3000 series being lazy in terms of power design.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Yeah maybe 2% of people waited for prices to drop. There is a reason nobody is buying products now.

Giroro

Splendid
These companies are still acting like it's a bad thing to have an inventory of their product in stock and ready to sell. They're even acting like it's a bad thing to have an adequate supply of raw materials and spare parts on hand. Did they not learn anything over the last 2 years of "supply chain constraints"?

Maybe "having a few too many" is a better problem to have than "having none at all, and also you can't get any more"

Reactions: artk2219

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Very good point. A bunch of people bought new PCs for entertainment/work-from-home during the pandemic... but how often do people buy a new PC? My friends who buy pre-builts usually buy a new one about every 5-7 years, and that is under normal economic conditions.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Asus has many of the most expensive products out there. I'm not surprised they would be having inventory challenges given their reluctance to lower prices. Asus appears to think they're the PC version of Nike or UA.

Am I the only one who thinks there hasn't been meaningful performance improvement in the mobile PC space? Part numbers keep going up, but devices are so thin they throttle horribly.

InvalidError

Titan
These companies are still acting like it's a bad thing to have an inventory of their product in stock and ready to sell.
Excess inventory means increased storage costs, capital being locked into inventory, that inventory being subject to depreciation as it becomes more difficult to sell for a decent amount of money, an increased likelihood that product will fail or get damaged during storage, etc. Some warehouse space to buffer inputs/outputs between shipments is good, too much is dangerous and expensive.

Very good point. A bunch of people bought new PCs for entertainment/work-from-home during the pandemic... but how often do people buy a new PC? My friends who buy pre-builts usually buy a new one about every 5-7 years, and that is under normal economic conditions.
Most people I know buy a sub-$1000 laptop every 5-7 years or use their phone for just about everything. My older sister has a ~10 years old PC she only uses to print stuff.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Not to mention the people that played the Newegg GPU lottery game and never got a shot after months of waiting and just plain gave up. A lot of people I know decided to skip this generation and wait for the next. Same thing with CPUs to a certain extent, whichis why the new Raptor lake and Zen4 CPUs don't excite me much. There is only so much wallet raping a gamer can take before they decide what they have is good enough.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I don't know about you but I am DONE with burning my thighs with the Intel powerpig 11th gen 12th gen or 13th gen processors! Seriously, who enjoys resting a 120w lightbulb on their thighs? There is truly nothing new available from Intel, only AMD is innovating but Intel is using its dirty tricks again to keep AMD laptops off the shelves at retailers!

I won the Newegg lottery and got a 3070 TI for only 25% over MSRP in February. It was the most inefficient gpu available on the 3xxx series, so I had a chance to win it ...

Last edited:

Nspace

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Intel powerpig 11th gen 12th gen or 13th gen processors!

This together with cases like intel's DELL's alienwares not having alternatives of upgradeable RAM for 15 or 14 inches laptops. In the latest three years RAM has come soldered at DELL most advanced mobile models, which translates in heating up already crowded motherboards, let alone negating customers the chance of future upgrading while increasing failure rates...

Stop walled garden strategies that tie innovation and certain good metrics with customer dissatisfaction in others. Many of us have been postponing buys or buying enough-for-a-while product...
You have been lowering your sale numbers and at the present economic climate, we have even less chances to buy, so the damage is done and it shows.
Time for you Companies to better plan ahead and design really interesting products for when the economy recovers

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
In the latest three years RAM has come soldered at DELL most advanced mobile models, which translates in heating up already crowded motherboards, let alone negating customers the chance of future upgrading while increasing failure rates...
Having the memory soldered to the motherboard doesn't make the motherboards meaningfully hotter since it is only 2-3W over about the same board footprint as the memory slot. If anything, having a slot folded over the motherboard would impede airflow across the board and make things hotter overall. Personally, every time I've bad memory, it was bad right out of the box.

If you think on-motherboard memory is bad, some ARM SoCs have the CPU and memory stacked together. That is likely what is down mainstream x86 laptops' future 4-5 years down the line.