Bush Cut Hurricane Funding to New Orleans

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college,alt.impeach.bush (More info?)

You have to love the redumblicans timing. Do they ever get anything right?

New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers faces
New Orleans CityBusiness, Jun 6, 2005 by Deon Roberts

In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
funding.

It would be the largest single-year funding loss ever for the New Orleans
district, Corps officials said.

I've been here over 30 years and I've never seen this level of reduction,
said Al Naomi, project manager for the New Orleans district. I think part of
the problem is it's not so much the reduction, it's the drastic reduction in
one fiscal year. It's the immediacy of the reduction that I think is the
hardest thing to adapt to.

There is an economic ripple effect, too. The cuts mean major hurricane and
flood protection projects will not be awarded to local engineering firms.
Also, a study to determine ways to protect the region from a Category 5
hurricane has been shelved for now.

Money is so tight the New Orleans district, which employs 1,300 people,
instituted a hiring freeze last month on all positions. The freeze is the
first of its kind in about 10 years, said Marcia Demma, chief of the Corps'
Programs Management Branch.

Stephen Jeselink, interim commander of the New Orleans Corps district, told
employees in an internal e-mail dated May 25 that the district is
experiencing financial challenges. Execution of our available funds must be
dealt with through prudent districtwide management decisions. In addition to
a hiring freeze, Jeselink canceled the annual Corps picnic held every June.

Congress is setting the Corps budget.

The House of Representatives wants to cut the New Orleans district budget 21
percent to $272.4 million in 2006, down from $343.5 million in 2005. The
House figure is about $20 million lower than the president's suggested
$290.7 million budget.

It's now up to the Senate. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-New Orleans, is making no
promises.

It's going to be very tough, Landrieu said. The House was not able to add
back this money ... but hopefully we can rally in the Senate and get some of
this money back.

Landrieu said the Bush administration is not making Corps of Engineers
funding a priority.

I think it's extremely shortsighted, Landrieu said. When the Corps of
Engineers' budget is cut, Louisiana bleeds. These projects are literally
life-and-death projects to the people of south Louisiana and they are (of)
vital economic interest to the entire nation.

The Corps' budget could still be beefed up, as it is every year, through
congressional additions. Last year, Congress added $20 million to the
overall budget of the New Orleans district but a similar increase this year
would still leave a $50 million shortfall.

One of the hardest-hit areas of the New Orleans district's budget is the
Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, which was created after the
May 1995 flood to improve drainage in Jefferson, Orleans and St. Tammany
parishes. SELA's budget is being drained from $36.5 million awarded in 2005
to $10.4 million suggested for 2006 by the House of Representatives and the
president.

The project manager said there would be no contracts awarded with this $10.4
million, Demma said.

The construction portion of the Corps' budget would suffer if Congress
doesn't add money. In 2005, the district received $94.3 million in federal
dollars dedicated to construction. In 2006, the proposal is for $56 million.

It would be critical to this city if we had a $50 million construction
budget compared with the past years, Demma said. It would be horrible for
the city, it would be horrible for contractors and for flood protection if
this were the final number compared to recent years and what the city needs.

Construction generally has been on the decline for several years and focus
has been on other projects in the Corps.

The district has identified $35 million in projects to build and improve
levees, floodwalls and pumping stations in St. Bernard, Orleans, Jefferson
and St. Charles parishes. Those projects are included in a Corps line item
called Lake Pontchartrain, where funding is scheduled to be cut from $5.7
million this year to $2.9 million in 2006. Naomi said it's enough to pay
salaries but little else.

We'll do some design work. We'll design the contracts and get them ready to
go if we get the money. But we don't have the money to put the work in the
field, and that's the problem, Naomi said.

The Appropriations Committee in Congress will ultimately decide how much the
New Orleans district will receive, he said.

Obviously, the decisions are being made up there that are not beneficial to
the state, in my opinion, Naomi said. Let's put it this way: When (former
Rep.) Bob Livingston (R-Metairie) was chairman of the Appropriations
Committee, we didn't have a monetary problem. Our problem was how do we
spend all the money we were getting.

Copyright 2005 Dolan Media Newswires
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college,alt.impeach.bush (More info?)

Do you even read what you post?

> In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
> Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
> funding.

It is not yet fiscal year 2006.
It's this kind of blind hysteria and misdirected rage that makes your ilk
such a joke outside of New York and LA. You are much like a two-year old;
you are able to comprehend the basic rudiments of reality, but if anything
you don't understand pierces your worldview, you jump to conclusions and
smear your faeces on the wall.

joshua

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Steve Dallas wrote:
> Do you even read what you post?
>

>>In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
>>Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
>>funding.
>

> It is not yet fiscal year 2006.

Actually, FY 2006 started July 1.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college,alt.impeach.bush (More info?)

[Joshua devilSPAMSUXinpgh@verizon.net]
[Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:41:30 -0400]

:Steve Dallas wrote:
:> Do you even read what you post?

:>>In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
:>>Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
:>>funding.

:> It is not yet fiscal year 2006.
:
:Actually, FY 2006 started July 1.

Negative.

FY: 1 October YEAR - 30 September YEAR+1

--
Bryan S. Slick, onyx_hokie at yahoo dot com

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Douglas

"Freedom Fries" <BushSupportsFacism@theconstitutionisdead.com> wrote in
message news:4312a0f7_2@x-privat.org...

> You have to love the redumblicans timing. Do they ever get anything right?
>
> New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers faces
> New Orleans CityBusiness, Jun 6, 2005 by Deon Roberts
>
> In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
> Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
> funding.

geeze.. with this being 2007 and the hurricane right outside the door. I
just cannot believe Bush did this in 2006... Im floored...

oh wait.. nevermind its still 2005...

Douglas

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college,alt.impeach.bush (More info?)

And to add to this...

it isnt the federal governments job to clean up everytime a hurricane comes
blowing in...
the federal government does help some, but the state government has a duty
to supply much of its tax income to the clean up...
Last I checked Louisiana gets billions a year from lottery sales...

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college,alt.impeach.bush (More info?)

Yeah, Bryan S. Slick <onyx_hokie@yahoo.cem>, well... that's just
like... your opinion man.

>[Joshua devilSPAMSUXinpgh@verizon.net]
>[Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:41:30 -0400]
>
>:Steve Dallas wrote:
>:> Do you even read what you post?
>
>:>>In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
>:>>Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
>:>>funding.
>
>:> It is not yet fiscal year 2006.
>:
>:Actually, FY 2006 started July 1.
>
>Negative.
>
>FY: 1 October YEAR - 30 September YEAR+1

Stop bogarting their snark, dewd.

John Rogers
AU Class of 1985
The Nail Gun of Quiet Reflection
The Al Del Greco of Atlanta

"Subordination is the natural order: there is subordination in Heaven -
Thrones and Dominions take precendence over Powers and Principalities,
Archangels and ordinary foremast angels; and so it is in the Navy. You
have come to the wrong shop for anarchy, brother."

(Captain Jack Aubrey, R.N. "The Ionian Mission)

Douglas

"Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:35:12 -0500, "Steve Dallas"
> <stevedallasnospam@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Do you even read what you post?
>>
>>> In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of
>>> Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal
>>> funding.
>>
>>It is not yet fiscal year 2006.
>
> God, what a moron FF is. He doesn't even know that 2005 is the last
> year we're going to have hurricanes!

His point was about this Hurricane... and none other...

If he wanted to debate why those funds were cut we can talk about that...

Louisiana can self support itself for clean up cost of Hurricanes because
they rake in billions a year in lotto money...
It's about States right issues... they will still get federal funds.. but
not the amount they want.

Douglas

<mordacpreventor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Douglas wrote:
>
>> And to add to this...
>>
>> it isnt the federal governments job to clean up everytime a hurricane
>> comes
>> blowing in...
>

> Unless the state is Florida and your brother is the governor.

Florida gets hit 10 times more by Hurricanes and Tropical storms than any
other state. Are the amounts of federal funds really that much more? Not
really. But you and I know thats just another "I hate George Bush" comment,
and will find anything to hate him for. Silly!

Douglas wrote:
> Florida gets hit 10 times more by Hurricanes and Tropical storms than any
> other state. Are the amounts of federal funds really that much more? Not
> really. But you and I know thats just another "I hate George Bush" comment,
> and will find anything to hate him for. Silly!

Better off hating him for the stuff that actually happened, like
skipping out on several World Wars, triggering the War on Drugs by
importing tonnes of cocaine in the '70s (it all went up his nose, but
that's irrelevant), force-feeding pork to Guantanamo Bay detainees (ha
ha joke's on them, it was CHILDREN and/or embryo soup, but what's the
difference when the soul is injected by God's magic metaphysical
soul-sperm at the moment of conception — this has been proven by a team
of SCIENTISTS) and for teaching millions of children that the jury's out
on evolution and therefore we should introduce astrology into our
classrooms so that everyone can hear both sides of the story. See, life
is too complex to have arisen by itself so must have been interfered
with by powerful star rays from SPACE. As soon as we can locate an enemy
out there we'll be invading. Do you think there's oil in the stars?

BTW I'm pretty sure that "10 times more hurricanes" statistic is just a
hoax. For all you know there's a big movie studio in Florida dedicated
to producing hurricane footage for the media. Jeb Bush uses the Federal
funds to — you guessed it — import cocaine. And he gets away with it
because all native Floridians are communist Cuba supporters and/or old
people who've only gone there to die. Have any of you ever been to
Florida? I didn't think so. And if you have, well, I don't trust you;
you're probably one of THEM.

J.

P.S. Hey guys the internet is really cool. Why don't we have a
discussion about something else where our minds are already made up and
we're all a bunch of stubborn, abusive idiots

Douglas

"Jonathan McArthur" <nospamtoday@please.thanks> wrote in message
> Douglas wrote:
>> Florida gets hit 10 times more by Hurricanes and Tropical storms than any
>> other state. Are the amounts of federal funds really that much more? Not
>> really. But you and I know thats just another "I hate George Bush"
>> comment, and will find anything to hate him for. Silly!
>
> Better off hating him for the stuff that actually happened, like skipping
> out on several World Wars, triggering the War on Drugs by importing tonnes
> of cocaine in the '70s (it all went up his nose, but that's irrelevant),
> force-feeding pork to Guantanamo Bay detainees (ha ha joke's on them, it
> was CHILDREN and/or embryo soup, but what's the difference when the soul
> is injected by God's magic metaphysical soul-sperm at the moment of
> conception — this has been proven by a team of SCIENTISTS) and for
> teaching millions of children that the jury's out on evolution and
> therefore we should introduce astrology into our classrooms so that
> everyone can hear both sides of the story. See, life is too complex to
> have arisen by itself so must have been interfered with by powerful star
> rays from SPACE. As soon as we can locate an enemy out there we'll be
> invading. Do you think there's oil in the stars?
>
> BTW I'm pretty sure that "10 times more hurricanes" statistic is just a
> hoax. For all you know there's a big movie studio in Florida dedicated to
> producing hurricane footage for the media. Jeb Bush uses the Federal funds
> to — you guessed it — import cocaine. And he gets away with it because all
> native Floridians are communist Cuba supporters and/or old people who've
> only gone there to die. Have any of you ever been to Florida? I didn't
> think so. And if you have, well, I don't trust you; you're probably one of
> THEM.
>
> J.
>
> P.S. Hey guys the internet is really cool. Why don't we have a discussion
> about something else where our minds are already made up and we're all a
> bunch of stubborn, abusive idiots

this post made me crack up... ahaha...