[SOLVED] Business Class or Gaming class computer?

Dec 17, 2018
Hello,

I'm looking to buy or build a computer for my business. It's for my Kitchen & Bathroom designer. She designs using 2020 Design and runs 3 monitors off her computer. She always have around 15-20 tabs open on google and around 5 pdf and/or excel/word documents open while designing. Eventually, she will be using the computer to run something like the HTC vive to show clients what their projects will like before we build their project.

I was looking at the following computers:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-gaming-desktops/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/ddcwblsk106h

and

https://www.amazon.com/Mantis-i7-8700-GeForce-Windows-Computer/dp/B074WH6C2D/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1545071773&sr=1-6&keywords=desktop+computer&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A13580790011%2Cp_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A17702486011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011%2Cp_n_graphics_type_browse-bin%3A14292273011%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_36%3A-120000

I know that the computers are classified as gaming computers, but the internals are what I'm looking for. I have some people telling me that I shouldn't get one of these because they are not "business class computers" while others tell me that these will work just fine. I don't know what to think. I called Dell and was told that I should get a business computer with a Nvidia Quadro p1000. They tell me that it's comparable to the gtx 1060 3gb.

I've built a couple gaming computers myself, but I don't know much about business class computers.

I wanted to see what all of you think about this. The computer will be used 3-5 days a week for about 8 hours per day.

Thank you,
Jordan

Solution

The recommendation on NVIDIA's website is a P4000 graphic card for "VR Ready". In a business setting, I like having the Dell...

kanewolf

Titan
I think you need to "design" for the HTC Vive. The 2020 Design doesn't seem to be too demanding. If you go to the Dell workstations, you can still get an i7 based machine but have a lot more flexibility in configuration. The Precision 3000 lets you pick ECC or non-ECC RAM and the size of the SSD.
I would go that route. You can get 32GB and a 512GB or 1TB SSD. It is a more expensive, (still < $2K) but much more flexibility.

Dec 17, 2018

So you would also recommend a workstation as opposed to the gaming setup? It seems that designing for the Vive would mean that buying the gaming rig would be better.

kanewolf

Titan

The recommendation on NVIDIA's website is a P4000 graphic card for "VR Ready". In a business setting, I like having the Dell warranty to send you parts if it breaks. I also like the configurability options in the Workstation class machines rather than the gaming. For what your designer has open, I would probably do 32GB RAM and a bigger SSD. Those aren't obvious upgrade choices on the gaming configurations. The 420W power supply in the gaming machines is also a little small for my tastes.
You could go either way, and it will probably be a significant upgrade for your designer. It is your budget and you have to decide if the extra flexibility in configuration is worth the costs.

Solution
Dec 17, 2018

That's the issue. I don't want to spend much more than $1,100.

Dec 17, 2018

Looks like i have some thinking to do.