Question Business Laptop - buying advice requested

auldemaan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Hi. I really need some advice in purchasing a laptop for business use. Other than the usual MS Office (with intensive Outlook use) and Adobe Acrobat use, it's routine use is to run simultaneous remote access apps connecting to a graphics planning software and a database app; each residing on different remote PCs. There's also heavy WhatsApp Web use. It'll need to be fairly light and better than average battery life with preferably three (3) USB ports.

The one currently being used is an HP i5-10210U 1.6 GHz (10th Gen), 8 GB RAM, GeForce MX110 w/2GB GDDR5 running Win 10 Home. I would have thought that this would be sufficient, but its slowed down tremendously; and running system tweaking s/ware only gives temporary relief. Outlooks routinely freezes, Webmail logs me out after each email sent. Of note - this does not happen to any other user, including one with an identical system. However they do no remote accessing.

At this point, I'm frustrated with my decaying productivity.

A_Goat

Distinguished
Hi. I really need some advice in purchasing a laptop for business use. Other than the usual MS Office (with intensive Outlook use) and Adobe Acrobat use, it's routine use is to run simultaneous remote access apps connecting to a graphics planning software and a database app; each residing on different remote PCs. There's also heavy WhatsApp Web use. It'll need to be fairly light and better than average battery life with preferably three (3) USB ports.

The one currently being used is an HP i5-10210U 1.6 GHz (10th Gen), 8 GB RAM, GeForce MX110 w/2GB GDDR5 running Win 10 Home. I would have thought that this would be sufficient, but its slowed down tremendously; and running system tweaking s/ware only gives temporary relief. Outlooks routinely freezes, Webmail logs me out after each email sent. Of note - this does not happen to any other user, including one with an identical system. However they do no remote accessing.

At this point, I'm frustrated with my decaying productivity.
That laptop should be sufficient for your needs, it could likely be rectified with some troubleshooting.
However, if you just want a new one, what is your budget?

auldemaan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
That laptop should be sufficient for your needs, it could likely be rectified with some troubleshooting.
However, if you just want a new one, what is your budget?
You know, I was thinking that yes it should be good enough, too.
Tried some troubleshooting as well as running some 'tweakware' but there was only some temporary improvement. My (forced) budget is $800 - $900.

(Late reply 'cause I'm a little under the weather of late)

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS