Question Business Mini Tower Capable of taking a 1050/1060 ti or above?

Nov 10, 2022
Hi

First posting here!

Have been laid up with a bad ankle injury so some of my usual pastimes are going to be on hold for a few months. However I was once a gamer and wouldn't mind having a pop at Flight Sim 2020. Currently have an ageing Zoostorm Tower with 2nd Gen i5, 16Gb, GF 750ti GFX, 256Gb SSD. Ram and SSD good but the rest bit dated.

Are there any existing i5 gen 6-8 Business Towers that can be purchased with enough PSU grunt and cabling for a GFX card such as a 4/6Gb 1050/1060? Am not looking to run the Sim at more than medium on 1080p really.

On a bit of a budget really as had forked out for private MRI, physio etc so is this feasible? Or am I better just sticking an upgraded '2nd hand' board, CPU etc from Ebay in?

cheers

Adam

Nov 10, 2022
That particular game is a beast in terms of hardware requirements, especially GPUs.

Your noted GPUs aren't going to cut it. Do you have a budget and purchasing source in mind?

Hi COLgeek

Ok, so I should be able to recoup around £75 for DDr3 2x8 modules, 750ti GPU and MB+cpu.

Budget about £350 max. Doable or am I living in Dreamland to have a fair crack at FS2020?

Don't mind doing the part by part upgrades although it's been a good 15 years since I built a PC!

Cheers

Adam

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your budget is going to be challenging, to be honest. A workable GPU alone could consume it.

In your area, are you aware of any sites with a good selection of used systems? It is possible they might have an affordable workstation class system that could be used for FS2020.

Reactions: superatticman
Nov 10, 2022
What is the make/model of your power supply?

Hi

It's a Coolermaster RS500 psap j3. Listed as 500w. Probably not the best.

It's in a nice cool and quiet case, is actually a gen3 i5 and was purchased in 2013 as a value graphics design workstation.

Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse in pondering upgrading it to even 2nd hand 8th gen spec kit?

Adam

Nov 10, 2022
The basic problem is starting from a (currently unbought!) crappy business level system and trying to make it into a semi hotrod game system.

This will not work.

To be honest....I'm probably just better off buying an X box. Even a type S will run FS2020 perfectly well at 1080p.

Keep the quiet but old PC as a media centre and nothing more...

Last edited: