Businesses Lost 86,000 Laptops Worth $2.1 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
At $24.4K a pop and considering the average laptop price is probably under $1K, we are looking at something like 25 : 1 ratio of data loss vs monetary loss due to the laptop hardware itself, maybe even closer to 30 : 1.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]cctchristensen[/nom]I didn't know laptops were going for $24,000; no wonder they were stolen.[/citation]

Read the entire article instead of just the headline.

G

cctchristensen how about reading the piece instead of just commenting on the headline. They actually explain it quite well.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wait how do you lose a laptop?I mean iv'e lost a charger to a laptop before but NEVER lost a laptop![/citation]

Theft, forgotten in a taxicab, etc..

Some people are just walking accidents. Ask an IT department for a large business sometime. There are usually a few people who you have to work hard to keep them from losing these things.

f-14

Distinguished
i know an esi laptop that was stolen that had about 5billion worth of information on it as well as government lists and contracts and information about a ton of high profile people's private information on it as well. there's a 2 million dollar reward for information leading to it's recovery and another 5 million for information leading to the arrest of the person who stole it. i would not be surprised if it has landed at the hands of people attached to the wikileaks.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]i know an esi laptop that was stolen that had about 5billion worth of information on it as well as government lists and contracts and information about a ton of high profile people's private information on it as well. there's a 2 million dollar reward for information leading to it's recovery and another 5 million for information leading to the arrest of the person who stole it. i would not be surprised if it has landed at the hands of people attached to the wikileaks.[/citation]

Hope they used some top-notch encryption and a fail-safe erasure protocol after too many failed access attempts.

[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]I wonder how many of these laptops have been stolen/sold via TSA agents & Baggage handlers.[/citation]

Actually most business travelers don't let their laptops out of sight and take them onboard. So it's probably less than 10%. Most losses probably come from car break-ins, home invasions, and even workplace theft (usually the cleaning crew).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Companies don't usually supply Apple laptops for work. Why would they pay more for a machine that does less? Workplaces don't care about what's 'cool'.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
When my company gave me a laptop, I treated it like gold. Not only was it more powerful than the computer I had, but it let me do a lot of things I couldn't otherwise do before. It'd be one thing if my apartment was broken into and stolen, but I'd be embarrassed as all hell if I lost it on my own fault.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
there is a policy at a company around here that says if you are traveling for work you must "check out" a new laptop. transfer only data pertaining to the trip you are going on from the old laptop to the checked out laptop, and leave your normal laptop secured at home.

the reason for this is 1) sensitive data that is restricted from leaving
the country. not common but it does happen. 2) if the laptop is stolen/lost they don't want more company information then possible to get lost with it. its a major pain in the ass but thems the rules.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
In other news, Apple also claims businessess have lost as much as $2.1billion worth of MacBooks. So far all two-dozen of the computers have not been recovered.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
research and development as well as financial industries do pay alot for the anti theft tech already now this study will make them pay more.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Problem: (as above)

Solution: http://anti-theft.intel.com/

I recommend something other than BitLocker though, it's not a cost effective 'in place' upgrade for Windows 7. (It ain't bad, just 'can you really trust TPM?' - think about it...).

Status
Not open for further replies.