But Can It Run Crysis? 10 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis XFX

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
This is awesome! Good work! I've always wondered how today's most powerful GPUs would handle Crysis. Crazy to see that even the GTX 1080ti still barely breaks 60fps at 4K. This game is a beast.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
10 years ago i debated someone in the forums that Crysis was crap since his supposed rig ran Unreal 3 games and COD4 just fine. i wonder if that guy is still here. i mean side by side circa 2017 put Crysis along COD4 you'd see and probably understand why the latter was so much ahead of its time. The Map scale and the physics, too.

Kridian

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
What would really be interesting is if they redid Crysis with Chris Robert's updated engine (Star Engine/Lumberyard). What kind of performance gains would we see from a software standpoint?

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
can anyone give me a clean cut answer as to why crysis was/is so demanding? Is it that they took all of the new graphics technologies at the time and put them into one game? and then over time those technologies matured/were optimized and now we can see games that are better for less?
was it just poorly optimized?

jonajohnson3

Commendable
Aug 24, 2017
Right now im playing games like Gmod and Tf2 qute well with a 11 year old pc! Yes they might be really old titles to but they still run well. So for me yes I can run a 11 year old pc.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
There will never be another Crysis. Imagine a developer releasing a game where a 1080ti couldn't run it on the highest settings in 2017. 1. Optimization played a factor I know, but 2. Because it looked 20x better than any game available.

It was a product of the times where developers were still trying to push the envelope for cutting edge graphical techniques.. Pretty cool

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Crysis is notorious for utilizing nVidia Gimpware. Purposeful usage of technology to make your competitors product run poorly. Same with Project Cars. AMD winning the console contracts has changed this in the last several years, but there are still some entrenched review sites that purposely benchmark games to make AMD look worse.

edhem

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Thank you guys for doings this, I remember browsing your site for hours before buying amy 320MB 8800GS in order to play Crysis, and it kicked my butt. This brought back memories.

rrrrexrrrrex

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
As we can see, Amd drivers require more Cpu power. I hope that after GCN arcitecture we will get totally new drivers, comparable in perfomance with Nvidia.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
As a Korean gamer, playing in higher difficulty was fun since there was no English translations for Korean soliders.

I was like "Okay so this isn't THAT much more difficult."

Another out-of-the-box idea from Tom's that no other tech website thought of! Great job again Chris!

In any event, I didn't get this game until early 2009 with a new build (E8400 C2D overclocked to 4.4GHz, GTX 285, 4GB RAM) because my rig at the time was very outdated (Northwood Pentium IV 3.06GHz, 1GB memory, AGP 7800 GS). With that C2D build, the in-game benchmark showed a 45FPS average with "very high" quality setting using a 1680x1050 monitor.

From there it was on to Crysis 2 with an i5 2500K GTX 970 build using a 1080p monitor and Crysis 3 with 970 SLI using a 1440p monitor. My rigs never struggled since. But I will never forget that first experience in Crysis 1. Compared to the other games I had recently played like Half Life 2, FEAR, Left For Dead 2, and STALKER, it was like looking through a window in realism and immersiveness to near 3D. Compared to the other games, especially with foliage, water, and lighting textures, it was a true out of this world jump to the next level of PC gaming graphics.

brainlicker183

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
Just a heads up, if you score Crysis from Steam, you'll have to download the x64 exe from elsewhere. It's not included for some reason.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
I still mourn this game (and Far Cry 2).

All I want is a new campaign for Crysis 1 (like Warhead was), on an alternate universe where Crysis 2 and 3 never happened.

And I would be happy without all the alien crap.

Somebody should make a game like it.

While Crysis 2 came out a few years later than the original, it was a less demanding game, since they designed it with 2005/2006 era console hardware in mind. Gone was the more open island environment with dense foliage stretching into the distance in every direction, replaced with mostly linear corridors down city streets with tall, simple to render buildings blocking the view in most directions. It's much easier to make a game perform well when you only need to render a linear corridor. So while there were undoubtedly optimizations done to make the game engine perform better while improving the visuals in certain areas, most of the reason it wasn't as demanding was because they wanted the game to run well on lower end hardware, so they moved it to a more simple environment to accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.