Greetings from a perplexed XP (SP1) user. I wonder if anyone here has had
this happen:

Every so often (several times an hour) I see at the bottom of the screen
where the buttons for open programs reside, a new button appear and
disappear a second later. It has only a white rectangle in it. This has been
going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I keep my Norton Anti-Virus up to date
and scan daily. I also use Spybot, Adaware, Stinger & Trend Micro House Call
frequently. They never report much except the occasional tracking cookie.

My system is a Dell Dimension 4600
Intel ® Pentium® 4 Processor
2.8GHz w/533MHz FSB,
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim Dunphy

My guess: It's a virus or spyware. Here's a suggestion: Work with the Task
Manager open and 'on top' of all other windows. When you see the button on
the taskbar, look over at Task Manager and try to find the process which is
causing the button to appear. There's your answer.

P.S. The "whit erectangle" is actually the icon of an open window (look
closer and you'll see the blue border). A window is opening, but you can't
see it because it's happening outside the viewable image on your monitor.
Another reason to suspect a virus or spyware.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Jim Dunphy" <jimdwv@wirefire.com> wrote in message
> Greetings from a perplexed XP (SP1) user. I wonder if anyone here has had
> this happen:
>
> Every so often (several times an hour) I see at the bottom of the screen
> where the buttons for open programs reside, a new button appear and
> disappear a second later. It has only a white rectangle in it. This has
been
> going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I keep my Norton Anti-Virus up to
date
> and scan daily. I also use Spybot, Adaware, Stinger & Trend Micro House
Call
> frequently. They never report much except the occasional tracking cookie.
>
> My system is a Dell Dimension 4600
> Intel ® Pentium® 4 Processor
> 2.8GHz w/533MHz FSB,
> Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Jim Dunphy

Thanks, I'll try, but the thing lasts a second or less so it will be gone
from the Task Manager by the time I realize it's happening!

Jim Dunphy

> My guess: It's a virus or spyware. Here's a suggestion: Work with the Task
> Manager open and 'on top' of all other windows. When you see the button on
> the taskbar, look over at Task Manager and try to find the process which
is
> causing the button to appear. There's your answer.
>
> P.S. The "whit erectangle" is actually the icon of an open window (look
> closer and you'll see the blue border). A window is opening, but you can't
> see it because it's happening outside the viewable image on your monitor.
> Another reason to suspect a virus or spyware.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Jim Dunphy" <jimdwv@wirefire.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings from a perplexed XP (SP1) user. I wonder if anyone here has
had
> > this happen:
> >
> > Every so often (several times an hour) I see at the bottom of the screen
> > where the buttons for open programs reside, a new button appear and
> > disappear a second later. It has only a white rectangle in it. This has
> been
> > going on for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I keep my Norton Anti-Virus up to
> date
> > and scan daily. I also use Spybot, Adaware, Stinger & Trend Micro House
> Call
> > frequently. They never report much except the occasional tracking
cookie.

> > My system is a Dell Dimension 4600
> > Intel ® Pentium® 4 Processor
> > 2.8GHz w/533MHz FSB,
> > Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Jim Dunphy

"Sysfader" appeared then almost immediately appeared in my Task Manager. Now
at least I have a Google search term.