Buy 1080ti or RTX 2080

Stankenestor

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello!

Im looking to buy a new high end graphics card to game in 1440p. When would be the best time to buy a new one? The prices for the rtx 2080 and 1080ti are mostly the same in my country but some versions of the 1080 ti are cheaper. The rtx 2080 is also just slighty better in performance and i dont really care much for RTX since it probably will take few years to lift off if at all. Do you think the drivers for RTX 2080 will improve its performance over time so that it performs better than the 1080 ti?

Im also exploring the option of getting a used 1080 ti since that will be much cheaper. But perhaps it's not a good idea right now to get a used GPU since it might've been used for mining, or should that not be a real concern?

Do you think the price for 1080 ti will drop naturally or will it increase as the supply of them get lower? Do you think i will able to find any 1080 ti's going on sale in the near future in stores?

Thanks!

Solution
If the price were the same, the 2080 would be the logical choice. Even if its performance is roughly the same as a 1080 Ti on average in existing games, it does also have some new features, even if they're not supported yet. For example, its likely that DLSS will provide good antialiasing with a minimal performance impact in the games that support it, and RTX should provide some enhanced visual effects, even if the performance hit with that enabled will likely be large. So, at the same price, there's nothing really to lose going with the newer card.

However, I don't know how the pricing is where you are, but at online stores in the US, the 2080 currently costs around 20% more than a 1080 Ti, which makes for a rather significant...
Based on all current benchmarks the 2080 is barely if any faster than the 1080ti. And it costs more money. Also, from what has been revealed is that ray tracing is gonna take a heavy hit on performance. The 2080ti has a definite performance advantage over all currently available cards at the moment.

If the price were the same, the 2080 would be the logical choice. Even if its performance is roughly the same as a 1080 Ti on average in existing games, it does also have some new features, even if they're not supported yet. For example, its likely that DLSS will provide good antialiasing with a minimal performance impact in the games that support it, and RTX should provide some enhanced visual effects, even if the performance hit with that enabled will likely be large. So, at the same price, there's nothing really to lose going with the newer card.

However, I don't know how the pricing is where you are, but at online stores in the US, the 2080 currently costs around 20% more than a 1080 Ti, which makes for a rather significant price premium for some extra features that aren't even available yet, and haven't yet been tested in actual games. Maybe they'll turn out to be great, but its simply unknown at this time, and it might be difficult to accurately judge their value for some months.

Solution