Question Buy 4K monitor now for future proofing?

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
I'm wondering if I should buy a 4K monitor now. My 15 year old Dell U3011 (2560x 1600) is lacking in brightness and contrast. My two GTX 970 GPUs should be able to run games at 4K at lower performance settings. However, it might look better at 2600 x 1600. For web surfing and Photo shopping still photos I think 4K would be nice. Also, in a year or two I will probably get a new GPU that will be excellent with 4K resolution. Should I get a 4K monitor now? Will it work well running games at 2600 x 1600? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021
My point of view is that if you wait to buy a higher resolution monitor, you'll probably need to upgrade your video card to something that can manage that kind of resolution, and those are expensive. So why wait? I own a 49", play games like Doom Eternal in Full HD and I can't complain about the graphics quality. And TBH, I couldn't notice THAT much of a difference between FHD and 4K when I compared them to check, even though the lag. Enjoy now and let dugt of the future handle that kind of things. 😜

Last edited:
Reactions: dugt

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
My point of view is that if you wait to buy a higher resolution monitor, you'll probably need to upgrade your video card to something that can manage that kind of resolution, and those are expensive. So why wait? I own a 49", play games like Doom Eternal in Full HD and I can't complain about the graphics quality. And TBH, I couldn't notice THAT much of a difference between FHD and 4K when I compared them to check, even though the lag. Enjoy now and let dugt of the future handle that kind of things. 😜

My current monitor is 2560 x 1600 and my computer plays my favorite game on ULTRA. I was trying to say, if I got a new 4K monitor, I could play games at 2560 x 1600 until I get a more 4K capable GPU. That will happen when they become more available. I can afford it. I'm wondering if there is a good reason to delay getting a 4k monitor other than they will get cheaper and better.

The biggest issue with my current monitor is it take about thirty minutes for the FL tubes to get to full brightness.