Question Buy 5000 series cpu or waiting for am5 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
These days I'm thinking of buying an amd Ryzen CPU 5900x, but I see that the company will launch a new cpu with a completely new socket. Should I wait or buy now? I know that the new platform will get improvements such as support for ddr5 , I already have b250m gaming 3 + i5 7400 + 16 gb ram 2400mhz , i wanted to upgrade my cpu and mb and rams like something 5900x or waiting for 12gen intel or waiting for am5 cpu im confused

Last edited:
The issue with that is, no consumer is running JEDEC spec RAM. Jedec 3200 Mhz = 20-20-20 timings, 12-15 ns latency. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM
You can't even find that slow RAM on the market. The worst is like 16-18-18. And with DDR5, everything points to latency going up. 14-15 ns. https://www.techradar.com/news/corsair-teases-seriously-fast-ddr5-ram-and-its-coming-soon
Currently you are looking at 7-10 ns latency on DDR4. And overall 40-60 ns on Intel/AMD. DDR5 looks to have twice that. But it's still early days, engineering samples etc.
51 gb/s bandwidth? That is what? 3200 Mhz DDR4 today. You can reach 68-70 gig with top-end RAM.
And of course DDR5 wont be cheap. So you are paying the early adopter tax and buggy stuff for a year, basically being a betatester. Sounds worth it?
And again, I've looked at benchmarks for various games with RAM that have the same speed but different latency, and there's no practical performance benefit for going with quicker RAM. You can throw theoretical performance and numbers all you want, but if the benchmarks say otherwise, then that's what I'm going to go with.

And I've yet to hear any issues with "buggy" RAM. I'm pretty sure if you get your RAM from say G.Sill or Corsair, you're going to get RAM that works. Being more expensive? Sure, the economies of scale aren't there yet. But also if the new processors end up being much better for your requirements than what's currently on the market, then that may be a cost you can live with.

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
Adding my two cents to what other said. So you have a Core i5 7400, If you need extra performance the Ryzen 9 5900X will be a really huge upgrade (heck anything above a Core i3 10100 included will be an awesome upgrade) over your current CPU and not only in the core/thread countm but raw performance.

And if history repeats, you are probably going to pay an extra for been a DDR5 first adopter. But who knows, we are ina crazy world right now so things may be different?
i not thinking go for intel a 2nt time bec kind of from 7gen to 11gen not see any change just high frequency and change the core little bit that why i thinking go to amd cpus bec i see a lot of change's there & yea i agree when ddr5 go out will have a huge price for sure only thing I'm afraid of amd cpu have pins on it :D and afried to get damged or something bec i see a lot of problems like cooler take cpu out when try clean or use thermal past sorry for my bad english guys :(