[SOLVED] Buy a 9600k or wait for Zen 2?

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hey all, I'm finally upgrading from an old ass motherboard and a 3570k. I don't have a problem waiting for Zen 2 to release but will it be substantially better than a 9600k if at all?

Solution
Rumour suggests a big jump in IPC which has the potential to make Ryzen the gaming king. But it's all just guesswork at this point.

I would suggest if you buy a 9600K or 2600X now you will still be gaming on it happily for years to come regardless of how good Zen 2 is. Your call.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Rumour suggests a big jump in IPC which has the potential to make Ryzen the gaming king. But it's all just guesswork at this point.

I would suggest if you buy a 9600K or 2600X now you will still be gaming on it happily for years to come regardless of how good Zen 2 is. Your call.

Solution

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
I wouldn’t right now. I’d wait and see what Zen 2 brings and how intel responds. When I got my 7700k everyone said I’d be happy for years too and now everything is 6+ cores and games are getting more and more multithreading friendly. The 3570k isn’t a bad CPU to use in the mean time.