Status
Not open for further replies.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Hello everybody,
I own an MSI GX680 and through these years I've been using it to play games, edit my videos and photos but I'm planning for an upgrade. When I browse the market, there's an enormous number of options including the brands MSI, Asus, HP, Alienware, Lenovo and even Razor!
I really don't know what I should do!
I think an Intel Core i7 or i9 with an Nvidia 3060 or 3070 is good, but I don't know how to choose the perfect gear.

I was thinking about a gaming laptop with a touch screen, but I'm not pretty sure if a touch screen is really functional for me. It should also be light. My GX680 is around 4 kilograms.

When I Google for a good laptop I have too many options! I'm totally confused.
My budget is around 1300 dollars.
Thanks for your help.

Gaming/Performance laptops are usually heavier because they have bigger screens and overall larger and sturdier structural design.

Those laptops are usually used to replace a desktop PC so weight is not a big deal for most of people. If you have to carry such laptop with you, there is a backpack specially designed for large and heavy items.

To get an idea, you can start with this config then compare the price against laptops from other brands

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/intel/spd/alienware-m15-r7-gaming-laptop

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Gaming/Performance laptops are usually heavier because they have bigger screens and overall larger and sturdier structural design.

Those laptops are usually used to replace a desktop PC so weight is not a big deal for most of people. If you have to carry such laptop with you, there is a backpack specially designed for large and heavy items.

To get an idea, you can start with this config then compare the price against laptops from other brands

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/intel/spd/alienware-m15-r7-gaming-laptop
Thank you for your reply.
I do understand that, but laptops are much less heavier these days, even gaming ones. And I'm looking for something around 2 kilograms.

This Alienware one is a good one, but a bit expensive. Should I buy from Dell? How about MSI or Asus?

Mainly, I will be working with Adobe Premiere and Photoshop on my device. So which GPU and CPU should the laptop have?

I cannot afford a gadget more than 1300 dollars. Actually I'm planning on buying something between 1000 and 1300 dollars.

I do appreciate your response.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Could you let me know what games you play and the sites you use to buy laptops? I would not recommend a touchscreen for a gaming laptop as this adds weight and makes the screen glossy.
I will be working with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and Edius most of the times. I will be also playing fist shooting games like COD or sports games like FIFA.

I thought a touchscreen can be useful for Photoshop or Illustrator.

I'm not using any particular websites to find the laptop. I just Google it.

I do appreciate your help. I'm still on the fence.

If you use the cc versions of illustrator and Photoshop, then a touchscreen is good. But then you will be focusing more on 360 convertibles as they are better for pen input then gaming laptops. If you don't use a pen, then I would stay away from it as your hand is not as fast as your mouse.

I would look into the Dell XPS range as there was sales for it, Asus g14 or g15.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
If you use the cc versions of illustrator and Photoshop, then a touchscreen is good. But then you will be focusing more on 360 convertibles as they are better for pen input then gaming laptops. If you don't use a pen, then I would stay away from it as your hand is not as fast as your mouse.

I would look into the Dell XPS range as there was sales for it, Asus g14 or g15.

Should I buy an Intel or an AMD manufactured CPU? How about the GPU? An Nvidia is better, right? Should I buy an Asus ROG? How about MSI?

For the touchscreen, I will be working with CC version of Adobe products using a pen apparently.

You will need to make a choice, do you want a gaming laptop or a pen enabled laptop.

For gaming, I think AMD CPUs are better. The GPU will depend on if you want ray tracing as nivida is better.

For premier Pro, I think it favours intel chips.

MSI is a good brand for gaming but their productivity laptops tend to be expensive.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Admittedly, I am even more confused! I don't know whether to buy AMD or Intel/ Nvidia or Radeon !!!

I know I need a good laptop that delivers high performance. My current gadget is an MSI so I was thinking of the same brand, while I found that Asus ROG, Lenovo Legion and HP Omen devices are also good.
Actually, I was going to buy a 13-inch Macbook pro but some people talked me out of it and told me that it will not deliver the performance I expect.

My current device is around 4 kilograms so I want something much lighter.

I am a graphic designer and an editor so mainly, I will be working with ADOBE CC and Edius software applications but I do enjoy playing video games so I cannot wait to run the latest games on my future device.

Here are some gadgets I found online, but I do not know which one to buy:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...eries/legion-5i-gen-6-(15''-intel)/82jh008hus

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...5-gen-6-(15”-amd)-gaming-laptop/82jucto1wwus1

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=4S1E4EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=39P51EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

I have not yet checked MSI laptops!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think the trick is going to be editing down the features. A 3060 and light and a touchscreen and new and under $1300 is not a realistic combination. You're going to have to decide what is more important to you and what is less important.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
I think the trick is going to be editing down the features. A 3060 and light and a touchscreen and new and under $1300 is not a realistic combination. You're going to have to decide what is more important to you and what is less important.

Thank you but all the laptops which I sent a link to, are around $1300.
The touchscreen was my priority but it is not anymore. By lightness, I mean more portable than my current device (MSI GX680) so around 2 kilograms would be fine.
So now which gadget should I go for? The one that gives me a high performance (for graming and editing), is around 2 - 2.5 kilograms, approximately $1300, and excellent build quality.

I was thinking that to build a good laptop companies should put together the best products in the best way, so which one is more successful in doing so? Asus? MSI? HP? Lenovo?

Sep 30, 2022
Before suggesting anything, I need to know if you plan to use this laptop for gaming again. And it is pretty hard to use the same computer for gaming and editing videos; you may probably need a model with a strong processor. And this one should be universal, to cover all your purposes. I suggest you try the dell XPS 15 9570 15.6 inches laptop. It has a big screen, a good processor and is even lighter than your old one. Moreover, it can perform all actions perfectly and is compatible with many browsers. I use windows on it for work.

Last edited:

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Before suggesting anything, I need to know if you plan to use this laptop for gaming again. And it is pretty hard to use the same computer for gaming and editing videos; you may probably need a model with a strong processor.
I need it to use Adobe and Office family applications mainly. Sporadically I will be playing games. I don't know which brand to buy MSI, OMEN, MACBOOK OR SURFACE.
I do appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.