Buy a mining gpu?

Jul 7, 2018
I am wanting to buy a 1070 ftw 2 graphics card for gaming from someone. They said they used it for mining for about 2 months and they never overclocked it. Im just wondering if that would affect its performance. He also said that it has a 3 year warranty.

Solution

You dont understand, Stress tools like OCCT, Furmark, Prime95 and AIDA64 can push cards to its limit (You can see at toms review for cards for max peak wattage), now the issue is that the Mining stresses the card soo much and harder than these stress tools that I've counted, even more than that. Its like constant running in stress tool for 2 months or more.
Depends how...
Jul 7, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from itsluckytrg : "Gpu Warranty from owner?"

I am wanting to buy a gpu from someone that lives near me. He said that it has a 3 year warranty on it and he bought it in January. I am just wondering if something was wrong with it and i had to send it back to the manufacturer to get it replaced would i need anything from the previous seller that originally bought it new.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you'll get 50/50 mixed answers to this one. i'd not buy a used gpu that has been used for mining. the extra wear and tear on it from running 24/7 is not worth the risk. the card may have a 3 yr warranty from the manufacturer but can you prove when it was bought? seller claims 2 months but i'd not believe that for a second unless he has a receipt!!! they can say anything they want to get your cash and then move on. the warranty may or may not be honored by the manufacturer since you are not the first buyer and you'll only know that if the card has problems and you try to send it in.

too many negatives for me to risk it. the card would have to be 50% or less of what i can get a new one for to even consider such a risk. then even at 50% less i'd still be very hesitant.

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Based on my experience with DoD microelectronics, the primary failure mode is from heat cycling....turning on and off, running to max power and cooling, etc. Since mining cards are typically run under voltage and not shut down, I do not see where such a card has a higher failure risk then a non-mining card.

I agree with Math Geek about the warranty, though.

Larry

You dont understand, Stress tools like OCCT, Furmark, Prime95 and AIDA64 can push cards to its limit (You can see at toms review for cards for max peak wattage), now the issue is that the Mining stresses the card soo much and harder than these stress tools that I've counted, even more than that. Its like constant running in stress tool for 2 months or more.
Depends how the guy who is selling those GPU on which temps they were, if they ran under 90*C whole time, thats pratically baked card, I would bought GPU which was used for mining if they had controlled enviorment which they run under 75*C or similar.

Solution