buy a ps4 or new graphics card for my pc?

14ofthem

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
ps4 = £350
new graphics card budget = around £300

current pc specs:
-i5 2500k
-8gb Corsair Vengeance
-ASUS DirectCU II 560ti 448
-Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w
-ASUS P8Z68-V LX

Solution
Deal Alert : Better quality card for even less price :

So, just minutes after recommending this card to you, I found this one and it is of much better quality and for cheaper, so get this one instead. It is Asus Direct CU after all. :D

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£232.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £232.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 17:31 BST+0100)

I hope this helps.
Buy a new graphics card as your build is still one of the best ones and still can play any game at max when paired with a good card.

Get this card, this will cost only 240 dollars but would offer stellar performance. Much much better than the PS4.

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£239.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £239.75
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 16:32 BST+0100)

Also PC will always be better because of the deals available on it.

Get this card and you would be very happy

I hope this helps.

The rest of your system is still quite solid, and even your current video card is still decent, so a graphics upgrade would be the cheaper option. You may want to wait a little bit before buying though, supposedly AMD is launching it's new line up of cards within the next few weeks, and that will likely drive down prices on existing cards, though the 7970 linked above is a good deal.

I'd say the only reason to get a PS4 for you would be if the PS4 had a bunch of exclusive games that you desperately want to play, or if all your friends are getting a PS4 and you want to play games with them.

Deal Alert : Better quality card for even less price :

So, just minutes after recommending this card to you, I found this one and it is of much better quality and for cheaper, so get this one instead. It is Asus Direct CU after all. :D

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£232.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £232.55
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 17:31 BST+0100)

I hope this helps.

Solution
Aug 6, 2013
I bought a pair of HD7770 cards and a Crossfire bridge before I learned that my Asus $465 VG278H 3D monitor will not play in 3D with the pair of AMD HD cards I bought before the monitor.

NVidia Vs AMD.

So that wft moment aside (with 25 years computer EXPERIENCE).

I would go with the PS4 IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you have a VERY GOOD HDTV.

That is ONLY IF IF IF IF IF IF IF you have a VERY GOOD HDTV.

I would go for the graphics card if if if you have a GOOD GOOD GOOD sized MODERN PC Monitor (AT LEAST Full HD).

Personally I am waiting for the USER REVIEWS about the PS4.

AND Graphics cards prices are COMING DOWN.

SO
BE
PATIENT
If you can....

But I will get BOTH anyway to go with both my 46+-inch HDTV`s, and both PS3`s, and BOTH my Desktop gaming PC`s, and Both my gaming laptops (Windows 8 x64 as standard).

I also have to choose a GTX graphics card.

But WHICH?

Which Witch is which?

P.S.
YOUR desicion may also be based on if you already have a few PC games or lots of PS3 games (many of which will play on PS4).

I have 150+ PS3 games (but only around 50 PC games); but I will still WAIT WAIT FOR USER Reviews.

epipslab

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

How would the 7950 work for $179.99?

Aug 6, 2013

Is the difference big enough?
http://www.hwcompare.com/11595/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-7950-3gb/

I think the PS4 is the way to go in your situation (assuming you are uunable to SLi).

gack2009

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Hey guys i have the same question buy a PS4 or upgrade my pc. I have only 350 pounds for ps4 or graphics card. If you can guys check my pc specs and give me your opinion but the problem i have that my motherboard might be broken because it gives me wrong CPU speed and the audio not working as it should.
Thanks a lot.
This is my pc specs : CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 l VGA: ASUS AMD HD 6670 1GDDR5 l motherboard: MSI
880GM-E41 socket AM3 l RAM: 4GDDR3 1333 l Power Supply: 850W l HDD: 250GB Sata

dipanjan biswas

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
radeon 7950 obviously if u can get the vapor x by sapphire.. its a single click 100 mhz boost card... sounds really awesome nah! and it also does thhe job that easy.... dont go for sli as the otherguys have suggested as some of the game still doesn't run at sli due to some driver probs and sli induces a lots of heat in ur case... and after a dual sli for a cheap gfx card its not future upgradable , u have to sell them all loosing a great amount of money and have to buy a newer one..
but if u get a 7950 u can put another card in cross-fire x set up and can save ur money also will get a damn good performance......
or u can put 3 cards (tri crossfire-x set up) .. though i don't really recommend it...
and as for ps4 , u wont really get that much controls over advanced settings like anti alaising ... in a ps4.. and in pc u can tweak it, overclock ur rig, change the settings to ultra and lots more options to do..
its really fun to do so.

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
In terms of raw power, go with an upgraded GPU. However, if you're buying it specifically for gaming I would personally go with the PS4 and before the PC Gaming vs Console Gaming comments start, let me explain why.

I built me a powerful PC, mostly for video editing purposes but more than enough to play most games out there and what I've found is that consoles tend to get MORE quality games than PC does and in many cases consoles get the cross platform games sooner. A great example is GTAV. Love it or hate it, we still have no idea if its actually coming to PC or not. I maintain a list of all the upcoming games that catch my eye and largely what I have are console games. If they are coming out cross platform (like The Witcher and Titanfall) I'll often get the PC version depending on what type of game it is but then there are games like Destiny, The Order, and whatever that new Halo game will be called. No PC plans.

I'll admit that this generation seems to have a lot more console games also getting PC versions. However, as I much prefer to play games with a controller, in the case of action games, I might as well use a console. Keep in mind how and what you like to play before you decide.