Buy a Surface RT Tablet, Get a Touch/Type Cover Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The Windows RT was nothing but a reactionary mistake. Instead of leading the market, MS tried to follow it with a predictable lack of success. Windows should have made x86 tablets the first and only priority (along with x86 phones).

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
The fact that Surface Pro does not get free cover might shows that Surface Pro does indeed sells better than RT. This also shows how misjudged Microsoft senior management and marketing department had been.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Personally don't consider this a worthwhile buy at that price, even with the touch cover included. Windows RT makes it a glorified toy, without the app selection of the other toy tablets.
Cut the price in half or less for both the tablet and the cover - then I'd consider getting an RT tablet

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
The fact that Surface Pro does not get free cover might shows that Surface Pro does indeed sells better than RT. This also shows how misjudged Microsoft senior management and marketing department had been.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'm just dumbfounded that they'd make a detachable keyboard without an added battery for longer use. That was the nice thing about the ASUS TF series. But close to $150 for just the keyboard for the Surface...yeah, right.
Not to mention that you're at the whim of the Surface' lame kickstand. It's very infrequent that I have a flat surface for working/playing on the go where a kickstand would suffice. A proper dock/keyboard with battery would have made sense. A dumb kickstand and a detachable keyboard-only is dumb.

thebeastie

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Microsoft desperately want to imitate Apple and instead of a minimum of $100 going to Intel for their silicon they want that money to go to them by using ARM silicon.
Problem is MS didn't work there way up to that product quality like Apple did over the last 10 years with iPod, iPhone, iPad.
MS just jumped out of the bushes with an ARM tablet and said give me all your money now, because we know your hopelessly addicted to our software.
Turns out people aren't quite that addicted and MS simply were giving a bad deal with RT when you consider upto %50 of your SSD flash storage is eaten up by the MS Win8 RT OS. This was incredibly arrogant.
I still like the RT+ARM model very much from MS. I think its going to take a long time to work if ever.
Intel are releasing the new Silvermont Atom CPU which is well priced (ONLY BECAUSE OF ARM) but this CPU is still crap.. its real crap. Intel STILL want minimum $100 profit per piece of silicon and they are adjusting their plans to swim back towards that and people hating Windows RT falls right into Intels plans.
I think MS should continue on the RT+ARM path with a full version of MS Office and more generous amounts of flash instead of leaving customers with a bad taste in their mouths when you can have half your SSD flash space taken up by the RT OS.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
"The current Surface RT free cover promotion begins May 31 and ends on June 30, or while supplies last." That last part really made me feel like I should take advantage of this promotion. /end sarcasm

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I was at Best Buy over the weekend and physically checked them out. There was a MS rep who was hanging out at the Surface tablet stand and he quickly tagged me. In the same fashion as the sad sales guys at the malls trying to give you a pitch on switching cell phone providers. As I was leaving, I ran into the MS rep again and we started to talk about the tablets. Let's just say the conversation was heavily focused on two things: 1. How the tablets have Office on them - free. 2. How neat the gestures are.
I'm an Office user but when I'm using mytablet - iPad, I am biased towards being entertained and do light productive stuff. Not sure if I want to do "Office" work on a tablet. As for the gestures. Too much. Seems like the whole industry has gone gesture crazzzzy. Apple started the gesture trend yet they are the most reserved with the gestures. Just because there's more gestures doesn't mean it's better.
Then we talked about price. Holy smack! I didn't realize how expensive these things are. I handled both the base and the pro tablets and they are chunky clunky. These things are supposed to be handled and nothing about the "surface" made me want to hold the tablet. I jokingly asked if the keyboard comes with it. I really thought for the price they are asking... of course. NOPE! They want $100+ for the keyboard and that's the crappy one. The better keyboard was $150. Yes folks there is are two keyboards... cheap(?) one for $100 uses bubble like buttons and the more expensive one is tactile spring loaded.
I'm a fair guy and have a household with both PC and Mac... and Android and Apple (iphone, ipad, appletv). I just don't understand how a company who is not a market leader in tablets, provides a less accepted product, not as mature, and lower quality build wants to charge more than the market leader iPad.
By Christmas the Surface tablets will be another wasted MS project. Too bad because the Surface commercials were so much better than the product.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I was at Best Buy over the weekend and physically checked them out. There was a MS rep who was hanging out at the Surface tablet stand and he quickly tagged me. In the same fashion as the sad sales guys at the malls trying to give you a pitch on switching cell phone providers. As I was leaving, I ran into the MS rep again and we started to talk about the tablets. Let's just say the conversation was heavily focused on two things: 1. How the tablets have Office on them - free. 2. How neat the gestures are.
I'm an Office user but when I'm using mytablet - iPad, I am biased towards being entertained and do light productive stuff. Not sure if I want to do "Office" work on a tablet. As for the gestures. Too much. Seems like the whole industry has gone gesture crazzzzy. Apple started the gesture trend yet they are the most reserved with the gestures. Just because there's more gestures doesn't mean it's better.
Then we talked about price. Holy smack! I didn't realize how expensive these things are. I handled both the base and the pro tablets and they are chunky clunky. These things are supposed to be handled and nothing about the "surface" made me want to hold the tablet. I jokingly asked if the keyboard comes with it. I really thought for the price they are asking... of course. NOPE! They want $100+ for the keyboard and that's the crappy one. The better keyboard was $150. Yes folks there is are two keyboards... cheap(?) one for $100 uses bubble like buttons and the more expensive one is tactile spring loaded.
I'm a fair guy and have a household with both PC and Mac... and Android and Apple (iphone, ipad, appletv). I just don't understand how a company who is not a market leader in tablets, provides a less accepted product, not as mature, and lower quality build wants to charge more than the market leader iPad.
By Christmas the Surface tablets will be another wasted MS project. Too bad because the Surface commercials were so much better than the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.