Question Buy Alder Lake now or wait for Raptor Lake?

KyaraM

Admirable
We got not enough info yet on Raptor Lake to make that assessment, honestly. For all that people accuse Intel of constant fake leaks, they are playing their cards really close to their chests here. So nobody can really answer your question. However, I think we are a point in time where I personally feel safe to say if you can wait 4 months more, then wait. You can only win imho. If you can't, go Alder Lake, fantastic CPUs all around except for the i9s, which are overblown for most people.

Which would be the best idea? Are the Raptor Lakes going to be that much faster than the Alder Lakes?

I've seen some allegations on speed increases with Raptor, but of course those are rumors.

I had Alder Lake intentions. If my current 6 year old motherboard fails today, I will go with Alder Lake.

Otherwise, I have decided to wait up to perhaps 6 months for Raptor Lake......partially because I hope DDR 5 will be more suitable at that time. The truth is my current hardware is fast enough for anything I do....the only "reason" to upgrade is because current hardware has over 40,000 hours operation in 6 years.

Reactions: KyaraM
If you have a need now... buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
Most of the time, new gen introductions will offer perhaps a 10% boost in price performance. Nice, but not compelling.

Today, processors are really good. You get what you pay for.
Do not plan on "future proofing"
It is a chimera.
A graphics card upgrade in the future is the most common upgrade.
To allow for that, buy a quality and strong psu up front.

Most, when upgrading the processor will also upgrade the motherboard in the process.

Reactions: Why_Me and KyaraM

Bubbabigsexy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2014
If you have a need now... buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
Most of the time, new gen introductions will offer perhaps a 10% boost in price performance. Nice, but not compelling.

Today, processors are really good. You get what you pay for.
Do not plan on "future proofing"
It is a chimera.
A graphics card upgrade in the future is the most common upgrade.
To allow for that, buy a quality and strong psu up front.

Most, when upgrading the processor will also upgrade the motherboard in the process.
I've already bought the motherboard and the RAM. I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for the Raptor Lake CPUs or not. I already have a 3080ti, but my motherboard is causing problems, so it won't run to its full capacity. I also currently have an i9-9900k. If my motherboard were to totally die on me, I would go ahead and get the Alder Lake now.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Nah dont wait if you want it now. Raptor lake will fit alder lake boards anyway so i wouldn't stress. If raptor lake is really really great and for some reason destroys alder lake, you will always have that upgrade path in the future when prices come down. So its positives either way. If the components are cheap now, which they usually are during this time of year, then just get it and enjoy

Reactions: KyaraM
If you are looking for a top end build, and have the budget, look at the I9-12900KS.
It is a higher performing binned version of the 12900K which sells at a premium.

My uneducated guess, based on how Intel introduces new upgrades is that initially, the top end raptor lake part will have similar performance and sell at today's 12900K prices.

I've already bought the motherboard and the RAM. I'm just trying to decide if I should wait for the Raptor Lake CPUs or not. I already have a 3080ti, but my motherboard is causing problems, so it won't run to its full capacity. I also currently have an i9-9900k. If my motherboard were to totally die on me, I would go ahead and get the Alder Lake now.
You already bought an LGA1700 board with RAM to go with it before making a decision on the CPU?