[SOLVED] Buy an RX6500XT now or new years?

chico1st

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hi I play some pretty low end games (mostly indie stuff) and my 2400G has pretty much covered everything I need. Sometimes it can't keep up so I was thinking to get a budget GPU like the 6500XT.

It seems like a good deal now at ~280$CAD, but I'm super not in a hurry, so if the deals seem like they would be better around new years/black Friday I can wait for the deal then.

So i was wondering if people think the supply glut of 6500XTs makes for unbeatable sales now, or if waiting for a sales event is better?

Solution
You may not even be able to FIND any of those graphics cards around, new, by then. Used, probably, but buying a used graphics card or motherboard is a really bad idea in general except in cases where you can personally and in person see the hardware not only run but run and pass some standard stress tests, or when you have no other choice than to roll the dice because your platform is too old and getting new stock isn't an option. For warranty considerations, which are generally not transferable to third parties, if nothing else. But also because of the high probability of getting a device with problems because the majority of sellers out there are shady asshats.

So if you can find stock now at a price you can live with, it might be a...
You may not even be able to FIND any of those graphics cards around, new, by then. Used, probably, but buying a used graphics card or motherboard is a really bad idea in general except in cases where you can personally and in person see the hardware not only run but run and pass some standard stress tests, or when you have no other choice than to roll the dice because your platform is too old and getting new stock isn't an option. For warranty considerations, which are generally not transferable to third parties, if nothing else. But also because of the high probability of getting a device with problems because the majority of sellers out there are shady asshats.

So if you can find stock now at a price you can live with, it might be a good idea to simply pull the trigger at this time. Graphics cards aren't usually one of the components we generally see any worthy discounts on during the black Friday-ish sales anyhow, especially over the last few years, since availability generally drives prices UP at that time because it's when people are most often building new systems and unlike many other components graphics cards are not often in high supply like say drives and memory are.

Solution