[SOLVED] Buy Available 3070 or Hold Out for 3080?

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hi all! I am faced with a dilemma of sorts. I really wanted a 3080 but only a 3070 FE was available. I got it for MSRP. I haven't picked it up yet but my main goal is to play games at good frame rates for a long time. I'd like to eventually get a 1440p monitor and RT has really intrigued me. Having said that I can be perfectly content playing at 1080p even though it seems we're moving past that. I do have an Xbox Series X but some of the games I have on my Steam library are only one PC. My current GPU is a GTX 1070. I'm just looking for advice. Get the 3070 for now or wait?

Solution
Wow! Retail?! Newegg?! Usually they raise the price by 50% at least and THEN make you buy some ridiculous part with it as part of a "bundle." That's great that you got it at MSRP!

All relative, it was will $1500 after taxes (MSRP for the FTW3 is $1400), but I figure if I keep it for 4or 5 years it will be worth it. Electronics inflation isn't likely to abate anytime soon. Cheapest 3080Ti I have seen on the Newegg shuffle lately has been 1800-1900 for lesser cards, some even the LHR versions. All those new models have a higher MSRP, so it isn't really Newegg's fault.

What they should get in trouble for is their silly bundles. If you happen to want a $400 motherboard or $200 PSU with your card. Or some $800 monitor. Then it...

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Wow! Retail?! Newegg?! Usually they raise the price by 50% at least and THEN make you buy some ridiculous part with it as part of a "bundle." That's great that you got it at MSRP!

At MSRP, probably worth it. Certainly capable of 1440p gaming for the next several years.

I kept my GTX1080 for 5 years, 3080Ti came up at retail pricing through Newegg, couldn't chance waiting it out for something cheaper.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

All relative, it was will $1500 after taxes (MSRP for the FTW3 is $1400), but I figure if I keep it for 4or 5 years it will be worth it. Electronics inflation isn't likely to abate anytime soon. Cheapest 3080Ti I have seen on the Newegg shuffle lately has been 1800-1900 for lesser cards, some even the LHR versions. All those new models have a higher MSRP, so it isn't really Newegg's fault.

What they should get in trouble for is their silly bundles. If you happen to want a $400 motherboard or $200 PSU with your card. Or some $800 monitor. Then it is all good, otherwise I had to pass on a lot of options. I could have probably found a use for some of the cheaper motherboards they bundled, but the PSUs and the Monitors would have just been something I would have had to sell on.

Took about 5 months of daily entries to get a card. Only other time I was successful was the Friday before the 4th of July, I missed that one, it was a 3070 Vision card if I recall.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would say if you are looking at $500 to get a 3070, or even $600, that is more than comparable to the retail price of something like the GTX1080 when it launched. Down a step, but there are only two steps below it now, vs the 4 steps below the 1070.

Dec 2, 2021
I'd hop right on the 3070 and enjoy it. When you get the opportunity to upgrade then you can then and if things are anything like the present you will be able to flip the 3070 and probably get more than enough back to cover the 3080 at MSRP.

If nothing else I'd buy the 3070 at MSRP and just flip it to have more cash on hand if you must wait.

TRENDING THREADS