Buy Big Bundle, Help Cure Cancer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Better yet, donate directly to these people:

http://www.thedcasite.com/

Big Pharma only likes cures that can be patented.

flurrball

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Uhh, if 100% of each sale goes to charity, isn't a 30% discount on this actually taking 30% of the money the ACS could have made?

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]flurrball[/nom]Uhh, if 100% of each sale goes to charity, isn't a 30% discount on this actually taking 30% of the money the ACS could have made?[/citation]
That is what I was wondering. Does Tom's pickup the extra or is it just incentive for cheapo THer's.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Meanwhile don't tell people that cancer like aids and diabetes are lifestyle diseases and can be cured,after all if they were viruses then like the common cold or the flu they would be all over the map..:)

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]dokk2[/nom]Meanwhile don't tell people that cancer like aids and diabetes are lifestyle diseases and can be cured,after all if they were viruses then like the common cold or the flu they would be all over the map..[/citation]Are you insinuating that AIDS and Diabetes are cancers? WTF?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The American Cancer Society is a scam and can bite me.

Quote from Wiki,
"a report analyzing the chapter's own financial statements and demonstrating that it uses about 95% of its donations for paying salaries and other overhead costs, resulting in a 22 to 1 ratio of overhead to actual money spent on the cause"

95% to pay for saleries, that is a scam.

bigbundle

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
We encourage you NOT to use the coupon because it means less money for the ACS if you do. The idea is to give people a good deal because it's not like everyone decides to donate to cancer research every day. We have to say "net" proceeds because Visa/MasterCard take about 2% (of everything).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting.

There's a couple things there I could actually use. That's the main deciding factor, because I have enough people to give money too...

Do multiple voucher codes work? (One from Toms and one from somewere else?)

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]bryce55[/nom]The coupon acts as a referral code and TH gets paid for referrals.[/citation]
As far as I know, we're not getting paid for any referrals at all. This was just something we wanted to support because we thought it was a Good Thing.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]flurrball[/nom]Uhh, if 100% of each sale goes to charity, isn't a 30% discount on this actually taking 30% of the money the ACS could have made?[/citation]
I'm pretty sure what Tom's means is that they will split the donation with you if you purchase a bundle.

G

Hmmm, do I really want to spend $21 on a bunch of products I don't want, a bunch of coupons I'll never use, as well as give away my personal information that will likely be shared with participating advertisers and be used to harass me for more donations, all to give a paltry sum to a corrupt charity? I don't think so ¬_¬

I do believe that should read:

[citation][nom]areyoukidding[/nom]I don't care about sick cancer patients. I'm to cheap to donate.[citation]

Wow really? since 100% of the net profits are donated, this is a better deal for the research facilities than the ones you buy at walmart. Hell, if you use only a handful of the coupons you break even.

Great idea for a charity donation; I'd go for it, but I submit donations locally with cash.

G

It's rather naive to think you are helping cancer patients by purchasing this bundle. All you are really doing is helping the sponsoring companies by doing business with them and lining the pockets of the ACS' board members.

Most of the gift cards are too small for a single item, the coupons require larger purchases, there are better and/or free alternatives to the software applications, the games can be played for free online, and the rest are mostly subscriptions.

If some of the items are things you'd buy regardless of this bundle, then good for you, but if you are only using/buying the items because of the bundle, then you are doing exactly what the sponsors want you to do. I get similar kinds of 'deals' in the form of junk mail every week.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]dokk2[/nom]Meanwhile don't tell people that cancer like aids and diabetes are lifestyle diseases and can be cured,after all if they were viruses then like the common cold or the flu they would be all over the map..[/citation]

This above spoken like a true IDIOT who has no IDEA what they are talking about. Do some reading on the subject of oncology and/or visit a hospital and talk to an oncologist or nurses (even pediatric nurses) before you open your hole again. Cancer knows no age, and will affect people who live very clean lifestyles.

ASSHOLE!!

bigbundle

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
@rathernaive -- I'm not sure where you get your information from, but (a) your information is not shared with anyone, (b) the ACS has sponsored billions of dollars in cancer research grants that may very well save your life some day (see http://www.cancer.org/docroot/RES/content/RES_1_1X_Research_Milestones_from_2000-2007.asp?sitearea=RES for just a small sample), and (c) not clear how you'd get all of these things for free.

This is not some evil plot, this is a well-intentioned concept to help a very good cause. And I challenge you to find a better deal in your junk mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.