[SOLVED] Buy new RAM stick with the same speed and latency?

JotaCanutto

Prominent
May 10, 2019
I have 1x Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 - BLS8G4D26BFSTK and I want another 8GB stick, but I can only find HyperX Fury 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 - HX426C16FB3/8. Will it be OK or should I buy 2 of the HyperX and use only them? I was planning on overclocking them to 2933Mhz or 3000Mhz. System is basically a R5 2600 and a AsRock B450M Pro4

Solution
Hey there,

Mixing DIMMS like that can be a pain. Even if they are close in spec. I'd strongly suggest getting the 2 x kit and selling the single DIMM to offset the cost.

Whilst it's possible to get two different DIMMS working together, it often takes a lot of tinkering with to get them to work properly. With no guarantee that they will.

IMO, it's better to be save than sorry, specially with ram. Getting the matched kit rules out potential incompatibility.
Hey there,

Mixing DIMMS like that can be a pain. Even if they are close in spec. I'd strongly suggest getting the 2 x kit and selling the single DIMM to offset the cost.

Whilst it's possible to get two different DIMMS working together, it often takes a lot of tinkering with to get them to work properly. With no guarantee that they will.

IMO, it's better to be save than sorry, specially with ram. Getting the matched kit rules out potential incompatibility.

Solution