Buy now or wait?

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Okay.. it's me again..

so i've started ordering the parts for my new rig.. and am now wondering..

is it worth getting the ATI HD 4890 (gettin the non-reference Atomic Sapphire one, clocked at 1000Mhz/4something (vapor-x cooler))

or

should i get a cheap 4770 for the moment, and invest in a HD5870 when its eventually out (and then maybe use the 4770 as a phyx card (if thats possbile, dunno))?
ive been reading in loadsa forums that u must be crazy go splash out cash for a new gfx card now, since they are probably going to be released around June/July with DX11 support, and all those nice juicy specs

cheers

Do not hold your breath for DX11, I'm not.
By the time it is mainstream we'll all be looking to upgrade anyway although I might question the HD4890 when the 1Gb HD4870/GTX260 is cheaper and so close to its performance.
No, you cannot use an ATI card for PhysX, only Nvidia.

Depends on what sort of rig you have and what monitor you are looking to power.
Personally i look at it like this.
If you have a say 24" screen and want a decent experiance then go with the bigger better card.
If you are running a 22" or less and dont have to have max settings/ quality for everything then get a 4770 with a view to reselling it when the new cards come out.
I wanted a non referance 4770 but due to W7 RC coming out i got a new referance card and will sell it and get a differant non referance if they prove better.

Mactronix

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
the rig am building will be (i think) quite powerful..

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
6GB DDR 1666Mhz (upgrading to 12 after summer)
graphics card i still havent decided...

the thing is.. the monitor ill be using before end of summer will be a 19", nothing special, but after summer ill probably going on dual 22" ones.

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
out of topic.. can u use an ATI gfx card, and a Nvidia just for PhyX?

in that case, i could go for nvidia, and after the HD5870 is out, use it as PhyX card?

Intel is coming out with 6 cores in 2010, and 8-12+ cores after that. By the time DX11 becomes mature, your 4 core rig will not be top of the line anymore.

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
well ye, but CPU isnt what's worrying me atm.. :p

how long would u think DX11 would start becoming mainstream, and actually be worth 'investing' in a DX11 gpu?