Question buy RAM faster than will run it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Is there any advantage to buying RAM faster than I'll be running it?

In other words, I'm looking at a couple X570 mobos which support up to 3200 RAM speed without OC, and I'm not planning to ever overclock it, so should I just buy 3200 RAM or would RAM that could operate faster have some advantage like lasting longer?

(Incidentally I plan to have four slots filled with the max. 128GB.)

Oh yes I absolutely will use the QVL to find a supported kit!

Thank you very much for your reply, geofelt!

My original question was theoretical: Is there any advantage to buying RAM faster than I'll be running it? (I guess, as a noob, I'm wondering if, like running my Toyota at top speed constantly wouldn't be great for the engine, having RAM faster that I'll run it would be somehow good.) I do know that given warranties my question is not a practical consideration.

Oh hey that reminds me, I noticed the long list of Warranty Exclusions at http://www.gskill.com/warranty starting with "Wear and tear associated with normal use" (lol!). OTOH, G.Skill has in practice been cool with RAM RMAs with me. Is G.Skill's actual practice good despite the ludicrous exclusions?

It is standard exclusion, we are unable to cover worn or damaged cables, keyboard keys, and such that is not considered a manufacturer defect. Since RAM is not handled often this exclusion does not apply as much, however it does in the sense that memory modules should be near original physical condition to be covered under manufacturer warranty.

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
If you get ram that runs at faster speed now, then change your mind later and oc, you can get more performance.
Thanks 512-Bit, I was thinking that would be true!!
It is standard exclusion, we are unable to cover worn or damaged cables, keyboard keys, and such that is not considered a manufacturer defect. Since RAM is not handled often this exclusion does not apply as much, however it does in the sense that memory modules should be near original physical condition to be covered under manufacturer warranty.
Thank you very much for weighing in, gskill support!

As I mentioned above I've always had great gskill warranty support, but they I ran into some people mocking your warranty exclusions online so I got anxious.

Maybe y'all would be better-served by not using the same warranty language for RAM modules as for cables.

Even so, honestly I wish it were G.Skill that offered the fastest 128GB memory kit for my upcoming CPU (despite that the manufacturer which does, Corsair, has an un-qualified "Lifetime Warranty".)

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I'm back because (following AMD's recommendation to not aircool the 3950x) I don't need to rule out the ASRock X570 Creator (which has 10GB Ethernet where the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X only has 2.5GB Ethernet) to fit the Noctua.

However, the Creator's QVL doesn't look to me to support over 2666 for 128GB RAM. Oh, the Creator QVL includes the same 3000 RAM (CMK64GX4M2D3000C16 ver3.40), but only on 2 slots not on 4 like the Phantom Gaming X.
I guess shouldn't doubt the truth of this?
(I guess I just don't want it to be true.)

And I think RAM of 3000 instead of 2666 matters more to me than >2.5GB Ethernet, so I guess I'll forget about the Creator.

Last edited: