Buy the current gen CPU or wait for coffee lake

boss311

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
I want to buy a gaming laptop. Here's my options
1.msi gt73vr 7rf raider
2.dell alienware 17

Both have gtx 1070, i7 7700k and 16gb ram.

So just I buy it now or wait for i7 8700k option to come?

Solution

With the exception of indie games, the vast majority of games released by large game publishers can take advantage of at least dual core CPUs, and many popular "AAA" games can use 4 cores. However, I do not know of many games that can take advantage of 6 cores and Hyper Threading. The only exception that I am aware of is Overwatch, then again, I do not play many games anymore.

==========================================================

OP, the i7-7700K is a desktop CPU. Those laptops have the i7-7700HQ CPU, it has lower clockspeed compared to...

trollzhxtroll

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
No buy the 7700k option. Games depends pretty much on single core performance, so more cores with less clock speed won't help your game that much( except if your are playing Minecraft).

With the exception of indie games, the vast majority of games released by large game publishers can take advantage of at least dual core CPUs, and many popular "AAA" games can use 4 cores. However, I do not know of many games that can take advantage of 6 cores and Hyper Threading. The only exception that I am aware of is Overwatch, then again, I do not play many games anymore.

==========================================================

OP, the i7-7700K is a desktop CPU. Those laptops have the i7-7700HQ CPU, it has lower clockspeed compared to the desktop i7-7700k and cannot be overclocked.

Intel has not made any official statements about a Coffee Lake mobile CPU yet. The current 8th generation mobile CPUs are simply refreshed Kaby Lake CPUs. The "u" model CPUs now have 4 cores rather than only 2 cores.

If you are waiting for a Coffee Lake mobile CPU, you could be waiting a "long time". Or it may not come out at all. Intel is hoping to work out the kinks in their 10mm manufacturing process (current Intel CPUs use the 14nm+ process) in late 2018. It could be possible they might skip mobile Coffee Lake and move on to Cannon Lake.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from boss311 : "Wait or buy the current i7"