BUY the HP100i or NO???

G

If you are locked on HP then I suggest waiting to the next model.

If you are short in time then go with the Pioneer A03.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
What is wrong with the HP? The price is similar (hp +$50) but its faster then the Pionerr. Just wondering cuz a freind of mine (without a credit card) gave me $$ to order him the hp drive. Is there some reason I should suggest otherwise? I myself am happy with CDRW 24x still =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
the HP and the pioneer both write Different Formats, the HP can only burn on RW dvd disc's and that can get expensive, it can't write on DVD-R discs. I think the pioneer can write to DVD-R and not on DVD-RW.... Hp will be releasing the Hp200i and it will burn both the R, and RW disc's......but now everything is gonna TOTALLY CHANGE because they changed the whole format of DVD totally....they will start using a NEW DVD disc called the "BLU RAY" disc..it can hold like 25 GB on one side. and this new disc won't be compatible with any old DVD player...so these BASTERDS are gonna force everybody to go out and buy a new DVD player... so all the movies they are gonna put on dvd starting in a yr will be on this new disc and won't be able to view on Old DVD..... so they are gonna have to make a New DVD player that can View both old and new format... SCUMS!! i will save my money and in 2 or 3 yrs the New Burner's will be out...hopefully sooner!

Later, Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

G

Pioneer can burn DVD-R at X2 and DVD-RW at X1
HP can burn only DVD+RW

Note the "-" and "+" as the media used for burning is not the same. HP media is more expencive.

There are rumors running concerning problems with the HP burner. In any case, it look as if the DVD-R medias are better then the DVD+RW.
the DVD+R standars was supposed to fix it, but that is what the rumors are about.

I am happy using my Pioneer A03 on day to day baseis and my clients are happy with the DVD'S I make for them.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well with this new BLU RAY disc comming out...i will wait for my DVD burner...if im gonna spend that much money on something i want to make sure the formatt it will be writing will Last

Later, Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

G

Have fun for the next 5 to 10 years.
This so called Blue Ray thing is not even in Pre Pre productions.

It had taken the DVD+RW companies lead by Richo over 3 years from the Initial anouncment of the format to start production. And the DVD+RW is still unable to write to DVD+R drives.

DVD's as we know them are here to stay for long years now, and even if this Blue ray thing will go into production during the next year (and it will not) it will start with big production studios, and only after 2 to 3 years will start go into more "consumer" type burners. (Look what was with DVD burners [Pioneer S-101 -> S-201 -> A03])

I will wait for after C-bit to see all new product anouncments and then decide, but to wait for this Blue thingy venture.....(not going to happen soon)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The DVD standards haven't been finalized (as in there are several competiting standards), so in one or two years, when DVD burners become more popular, you may find that the older generations are incompatible. This is just my opinion, but I believe that now isn't the best time to get a DVD burner.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Depend,
If you want a Pioneer DVD burner then now is good as allways.
If you want a HP or Phillips (look as if they are both headed into a Class law suit over current DVD+RW drives) then you better wait untill after CBit and NAB.....