Question Buy the RTX2060 now or wait for ampere?

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Sorry if It is a repost, however I still have undecided and new rumours have came out on ampere but I am getting impatient. Late july I am expected to buy my dream card, the RTX2060 for £300 ($370). I wanted to buy this card and move away from the GTX1050 for a long time and I finally managed to earn the money, however all my plans have changed since Nvidia Ampere came out. This steam summer sale I wanted to really buy Red Dead Redemption 2 however I don't know if I can wait longer, and obviously nobody knows when ampere will come out anyways. When it does come out, it will likely be the RTX3080 and 90 first or whatever they are called, therefore I don't consider purchasing them as I am limited to money and parts so the only thing which makes me wait for ampere is price drop. I will have the money for sure for the 2060 max, however it depends on the price drop on the 2060. Will the prices drop? By how much? Was there a time when for example the 2060 came out and the 1060 dropped in price? By how much? I will definitely not wait for the 3060 to come out however, if the price drops will be substantial for the 2060 then I will consider waiting and buying a higher end card such as the super variant or the rx5700/xt when rdna 2 comes out or even the 2070 depending on the price drops. Should I consider waiting or just buy and enjoy the games I dreamt of playing? My specifications:

Asus strix GTX1050 (2gb)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 2600 (limiting factor if I was to buy a very high end card)
CX450 (yes I know, if I am to consider buying a higher end card than the 2060 then of course I will replace it)
b450m-a

I will be most likely playing at 60hz at 1080p and maybe consider buying a 144hz monitor around christmas however I still haven't decided

Please let me know as I am currently in a struggle. Thank you!

Last edited:
The prices are probably as low now as you are going to see them. Every upgrade cycle we hear people say "Wait and see if the prices drop" but they don't. In fact, they often go UP because once the new architecture is being manufactured the old one normally stops.

If you are playing at 1080p then the RTX 2060 is more than enough GPU no matter what refresh rate you decide to game at. Besides which, your CPU is going to largely be the determining factor (And I don't just mean YOURS, I mean in general) when it comes to how many FPS you can run if you already have a card that you know is more than capable of the required FPS at that resolution and settings.

So yes, there is no need to wait in terms of graphics architecture IF there is an RTX 2060 that you like and can afford. If you want to wait to see if there might be a lower tiered card that performs just as well as the RTX 2060 in the next generation, that costs less, then that is always an option and there MIGHT be, but waiting for what's around the corner is a fool's game usually because there is ALWAYS something better waiting down the road for those willing to follow the carrot on the stick.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You must tell us what resolution you plan on playing at ? If 1080p grab the 2060 now. If 2k resolution with all settings maxed out grab a 2070. What justifies spending 1700 bucks for a video card when your playing at 1080p ya know.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
If you are playing 1080p 60hz.
Then You will not be wrong with RX 580 upgrade from 1050t

RX 580 have steady stable FPS at 100+FPS in most games at High Settings at 1080p.
As for Red Dead Redemption 2 its not fully Optimized, even with High End Card, FPS is still wack.

RX 580 @ Ultra Texture in RDR2 with Low Water Settings and Medium Shadow and Still get a solid 60-70fps..Pretty much in game you just want the Texture Quality :)

I had RX 580 before i upgraded to New Bios RX 5600xt for 1440p.

If you also have RX 580 and playing only at 1080p 60hz, its not worth to upgrade to RTX 2060 or GTX 1000 Series, As having more 50+ fps does not make any difference.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020

RX 580 have steady stable FPS at 100+FPS in most games at High Settings at 1080p.
As for Red Dead Redemption 2 its not fully Optimized, even with High End Card, FPS is still wack.

RX 580 @ Ultra Texture in RDR2 with Low Water Settings and Medium Shadow and Still get a solid 60-70fps..Pretty much in game you just want the Texture Quality :)

If you also have RX 580 and playing only at 1080p 60hz, its not worth to upgrade to RTX 2060 or GTX 1000 Series, As having more 50+ fps does not make any difference.

I would suggest GTX 1650 super instead of RX580 not because i have that, Am suggesting this because the gtx 1650 super draws less power when compared to RX580 and on par with the latest 5500XT

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
The prices are probably as low now as you are going to see them. Every upgrade cycle we hear people say "Wait and see if the prices drop" but they don't. In fact, they often go UP because once the new architecture is being manufactured the old one normally stops.

If you are playing at 1080p then the RTX 2060 is more than enough GPU no matter what refresh rate you decide to game at. Besides which, your CPU is going to largely be the determining factor (And I don't just mean YOURS, I mean in general) when it comes to how many FPS you can run if you already have a card that you know is more than capable of the required FPS at that resolution and settings.

So yes, there is no need to wait in terms of graphics architecture IF there is an RTX 2060 that you like and can afford. If you want to wait to see if there might be a lower tiered card that performs just as well as the RTX 2060 in the next generation, that costs less, then that is always an option and there MIGHT be, but waiting for what's around the corner is a fool's game usually because there is ALWAYS something better waiting down the road for those willing to follow the carrot on the stick.

I have focused on an RX5600xt if that is a good choice, I doubt ill use RTX however please let me know if the RX5600xt is just as good as it seems to be cheaper therefore I could save some money. However thank you! Even if ampere is around the corner the budget options will likely come out next year

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
I would suggest GTX 1650 super instead of RX580 not because i have that, Am suggesting this because the gtx 1650 super draws less power when compared to RX580 and on par with the latest 5500XT

If you worry about Power Consumption Usage. Then just buy1050Ti that lock on 75Watts..

1650 Super when you game, your entire desktop still used 200+Watts usage..

On RX 580 you can also limit Power Usage.

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020

I felt about buying the RX570 -> RX580 -> GTX1650 -> RX590 -> 1660ti -> RTX2060 while I was saving and I feel the 2060 is good for me because I want to play demanding games, such as rdr2 at almost full graphics 50-60fps, and potentially the upcoming mfs2020. Thanks for the info but the GTX1650 is also too small of an upgrade for me and lower than I require

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
If you worry about Power Consumption Usage. Then just buy1050Ti that lock on 75Watts..

1650 Super when you game, your entire desktop still used 200+Watts usage..

On RX 580 you can also limit Power Usage.

Not going to lie but the 1050ti? Are you serious that is 10fps more than the 1050. Power usage isn't an issue however, the RX580 I don't consider buying

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Not going to lie but the 1050ti? Are you serious that is 10fps more than the 1050. Power usage isn't an issue however, the RX580 I don't consider buying

RX 580 have no problem getting 60+ FPS in RDR2 at 1080p 60hz monitor. You can use Preset settings from Low/Medium and still get a solid 70fps. But if you want Ultra Texture you have to tone down the water and shadow quality to get 60fps.

RX 580 is a solid price and wait for new gpu to come out. maybe RX 5700 price will drop down.

But its your money and decision. So Get RTX 2060.

The RX5600 XT or RX580/590 are both decent choices for a 1080p card, however, I've been watching, carefully, and there have been a decent number of members, visitors and moderators who've had problems, serious problems, with multiple Navi cards. Personally, I think the architecture and design is flawed and I recommend avoiding AMD this generation.

That's without even going into the driver problems that AMD has had, not just now, but historically as well. Nvidia has no such problems, which is exactly why I moved away from AMD on this last upgrade, even aside from the generally much higher TDP and heat of the AMD cards.

But at 1080p, any of these solutions, 5600 XT, 5700, RX580/590, GTX 1660 ti or Super, RTX 2060, are all the right tier for good 1080p gaming. If you want to see anything like 100+ FPS gaming though, you will probably need to upgrade the CPU to a more capable model.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
The RX5600 XT or RX580/590 are both decent choices for a 1080p card, however, I've been watching, carefully, and there have been a decent number of members, visitors and moderators who've had problems, serious problems, with multiple Navi cards. Personally, I think the architecture and design is flawed and I recommend avoiding AMD this generation.

That's without even going into the driver problems that AMD has had, not just now, but historically as well. Nvidia has no such problems, which is exactly why I moved away from AMD on this last upgrade, even aside from the generally much higher TDP and heat of the AMD cards.

But at 1080p, any of these solutions, 5600 XT, 5700, RX580/590, GTX 1660 ti or Super, RTX 2060, are all the right tier for good 1080p gaming. If you want to see anything like 100+ FPS gaming though, you will probably need to upgrade the CPU to a more capable model.

I bought RTX 2060 and it was fine for couple days, then suddenly I get them artifacts popping on my screen it look like space invaders... I replace it for RX 5600XT (Same card as my cousin) only problem is that it is noisy when fan spin even at 50%, on my cousin the fan were silent even at 60% its only audible. 1 fan seem broken on my 5600XT. So far stuck with RX 580 until i get RX5600xt replacement in 2 weeks.

There always a bad GPU among batch. It doesn't matter if its Nvidia or AMD. GPU these days dont use high quality materials.
Most of GPU Brand materials focus on Backplate + RGB + looks.

There is an acceptable amount of expected "bad units" per so many cards sold, I agree. However, when everybody you know who has a card from a specific generation has similar problems, it starts looking liking something much different than just "there's going to be a few bad units here and there" and a whole lot more like "eh, I think there's something else going on here, like AMD setting a negligent power limit that's causing widespread premature electromigration on a number of high end cards".

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020

I fee like nvidia is a good choice anyways, just because first I like their software, and I simply want to update drivers and play. Also is the 2600 not capable enough? I thought it was an excellent cpu, especially with the 2060. My friend runs the 2070 with the 2600 without any issues. I thought about buying the 5700 however my psu is insufficient and I wanted to plug and play for a while and then upgrade my PSU when I get the money so it would make it harder with a 5700. I recently upgraded my CPU from an fx4300 to a 2600 and I simply have not considered upgrading in the next 2 years

The 2600 is "ok", certainly miles better than any of the FX based CPUs, it is really on par with the single core performance of the Haswell era architecture, although the multithreaded performance is somewhat higher by simple virtue of the fact that it has more cores and more hyperthreads than the 4790k. So it's not like it's a turd, but it's also comparable to an Intel i7 from 6 years ago if we're looking at it's single core performance and IPC numbers.

The fact that it has better multicore performance is a good thing, but it's only advantageous if you're playing or running something that can actually USE those additional two cores and two hyperthreads. If it can, then you'll likely see better performance. If it is something that uses 8 threads or less then performance is likely going to be moderately on par with the 4790k from 2014, and people with those older Haswell CPUs tend to run into issues with modern gaming systems when trying to run at high FPS for high refresh rate systems.

Obviously, everybody's mileage may vary, depending on what you are playing, what your settings are, how demanding it is, and probably some other variables surrounding the other hardware such as memory, internet connection and even the motherboard in use, because as we know, unlike what you often hear, the model of the board CAN and often DOES have a direct impact on a lot of things and gaming and application performance are among them.

I gotta be honest though when I say that running an RTX 2060 with a CX450 is a bad idea. For the PSU and for the graphics card. It's simply not good enough quality nor is it high enough capacity. Even if that was a Seasonic Prime 450w unit, I don't think I'd advise using it with that RTX 2060. I'd want to see a minimum of a GOOD 550w unit. 650w would be a lot better, especially if there are plans to do ANY amount of overclocking, at all.

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
The 2600 is "ok", certainly miles better than any of the FX based CPUs, it is really on par with the single core performance of the Haswell era architecture, although the multithreaded performance is somewhat higher by simple virtue of the fact that it has more cores and more hyperthreads than the 4790k. So it's not like it's a turd, but it's also comparable to an Intel i7 from 6 years ago if we're looking at it's single core performance and IPC numbers.

The fact that it has better multicore performance is a good thing, but it's only advantageous if you're playing or running something that can actually USE those additional two cores and two hyperthreads. If it can, then you'll likely see better performance. If it is something that uses 8 threads or less then performance is likely going to be moderately on par with the 4790k from 2014, and people with those older Haswell CPUs tend to run into issues with modern gaming systems when trying to run at high FPS for high refresh rate systems.

Obviously, everybody's mileage may vary, depending on what you are playing, what your settings are, how demanding it is, and probably some other variables surrounding the other hardware such as memory, internet connection and even the motherboard in use, because as we know, unlike what you often hear, the model of the board CAN and often DOES have a direct impact on a lot of things and gaming and application performance are among them.

I gotta be honest though when I say that running an RTX 2060 with a CX450 is a bad idea. For the PSU and for the graphics card. It's simply not good enough quality nor is it high enough capacity. Even if that was a Seasonic Prime 450w unit, I don't think I'd advise using it with that RTX 2060. I'd want to see a minimum of a GOOD 550w unit. 650w would be a lot better, especially if there are plans to do ANY amount of overclocking, at all.

Thank you for the information. I'll stick to the CX450 as I won't overclock and will be playing on v-sync anyways until I have the chance to get a new monitor, but before a new monitor, a new PSU which I was planning on getting ASAP. Potentially sell my GTX1050 to afford a good unit. Any good recommendations or should I stick to corsair such as the CX550/650?

All in all to conclude, my setup will be fine for playing games at 1080p 60hz at mostly ultra settings:
RTX2060
Ryzen 5 2600 (overclocked)
B450m-a
16gb @ 3200mhz ram
CX550

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What happened with your video card situation, sorry you had bad luck. Also a 450watt PSU is most probably going to have low ampage on the 12v rail so you can forget about any future upgrades and I wouldn't be surprised if it blows up any of your components when intense gaming with a 5700XT or a 2060 RTX. Grab a 550w EVGA 80+ Bonze rating and don't cheap out, plus it is only like 70ish bucks. Good Luck 😏

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
What happened with your video card situation, sorry you had bad luck. Also a 450watt PSU is most probably going to have low ampage on the 12v rail so you can forget about any future upgrades and I wouldn't be surprised if it blows up any of your components when intense gaming with a 5700XT or a 2060 RTX. Grab a 550w EVGA 80+ Bonze rating and don't cheap out, plus it is only like 70ish bucks. Good Luck 😏
Sorry for the very late reply, I'm currently on holiday. My 450w psu holds up very well with the 2060 and I had not run into issues. I decided to risk it and do a stress test and all my components running at full load didn't affect anything. However I am happy with the 2060 currently and I will buy a new power supply once I need to upgrade.

The fact that you haven't had any problems yet, doesn't honestly amount to much.

There are plenty of people who drive around on what is supposed to be a temporary spare, like you see in the bottom of most trunk compartments, for long periods of time without any issues even though they shouldn't. At some point though, we OFTEN see those tires blow out as they are simply not intended for long term use and the stress eventually causes them to fail. This, will be much the same.

If you had an exceptionally good 450w unit I wouldn't be nearly AS concerned, but what you have is very much what we'd consider to be a decent but mediocre, budget, entry level unit, and while it's ok for what it was meant to be used for, you are now pushing it, likely beyond it's intended use case. So don't be surprised when something happens that causes it or something it is connected to, to be damaged. Protections that are built in are all fine and good, but NONE of those protections can guard against high ripple or out of spec voltage regulation on a unit that is already fairly old AND is being used at a level that most likely is outside the safe range for that unit.

Replacing it sooner would be a lot better than later. But, it's your hardware, so only you can make that decision. Good luck Forz.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The fact that you haven't had any problems yet, doesn't honestly amount to much.

There are plenty of people who drive around on what is supposed to be a temporary spare, like you see in the bottom of most trunk compartments, for long periods of time without any issues even though they shouldn't. At some point though, we OFTEN see those tires blow out as they are simply not intended for long term use and the stress eventually causes them to fail. This, will be much the same.

If you had an exceptionally good 450w unit I wouldn't be nearly AS concerned, but what you have is very much what we'd consider to be a decent but mediocre, budget, entry level unit, and while it's ok for what it was meant to be used for, you are now pushing it, likely beyond it's intended use case. So don't be surprised when something happens that causes it or something it is connected to, to be damaged. Protections that are built in are all fine and good, but NONE of those protections can guard against high ripple or out of spec voltage regulation on a unit that is already fairly old AND is being used at a level that most likely is outside the safe range for that unit.

Replacing it sooner would be a lot better than later. But, it's your hardware, so only you can make that decision. Good luck Forz.
Standing ovation!!! Bravo Bravo Bravo. Did you major in english or something at university when you were younger? 💯💯💯👌👍😷🙈

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You really broke it down to this guy about the PSU situation. You sorta had my back and spoke so well and knowedgable but I guess you must be to be a Mod. I think your caring I care for the guy to I don't wanna see his crap blow up and cause a fire in the house. So ya people need to not cheap out on PSU's with a new system. A popular one is the EVGA G3 bronze 80+ rating PSU's My old man has a 650w of that powered with a 9900k with a Aorus Elite and Fractal Design case and Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 all of which I picked out his system for him. TLDR 🙈

But behind my back to not bother me maybe he fixed the whole computer and took some SSDs from his old unit and 1060 GTX from the old unit and put them in the box. His system has not crashed once. It hasn't been a year we delayed with the 9900k for him for a year and some months he had a Sandy Bridge 2600k before and hsi stuff was so much slow then my then 4930k system with 64GB RAM and M.2 Sammy boot drive and couple SSDs. TLDR 🙈

Once I saw his Windows 10 OS I mean dang I would click on stuff and before I click it would open lol. My 4930k was flawless in everyway until 2020 that is about 6 years since it came out for socket 2011 HEDT which I had a Sabertooth X79 board. She was 6 cores 12 threads but never maxed out on me with my DAW or with anything else. Mine you I never rendering. Also when I did render a video I used Format Factory a free application that is sick and fully free it converts everything and it uses GPU. It also converts pics and music and what not. Amazing cool looking app. Get it everyone. Just a plug there lol. Anyhow I think now a days the average gamer or gamer just beginning the last thing their concerened with is a PSU where I know me and Darkbreeze have a quality PSU that is also built for any future coming of video cards for a long time to come. I think the max a GPU will require one day is maybe 800w of power. Ill be fine then giddy! But as for now I plan to stick with my video card for a long long time as I get my triple digit FPS in Quake Champions. 💯👍💪🏽🙉☮

Last edited by a moderator: