Buy Win XP OEM to install Win 7 Upgrade?

j_bob

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I am planning to build a desktop and have just pre ordered the Win 7 Pro for students for $30. I understand that I need a previous version of windows installed to do the upgrade...

If I buy Win XP Home OEM for $30 off ebay and install it on the new machine can I then install the upgrade all for just $60?

And that means the license will be attached to the Motherboard right?
Sorry for sounding like a noob

Yes you can, and the license never is attached to the motherboard, the license is attached to the rig where you install the OS. Everytime that you re-install the OS, the license number is asked, independent if is the same computer of the first installation or is another PC.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
You buy the full version if you haven't got anything to upgrade from.
I think previous version of windows worked the same in regards to allowing you to do a fresh install rather than upgrade? Could be wrong though.

mrneil001

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

It has happened before in the past. I remember when OSX first came out, as soon as people found out that you were able to use the upgrade as a full install, they were flying off the shelfs...

But who knows, maybe Microsoft is throwing us students a bone?

I took the risk and ordered mine. Well worth it if you ask me. And if it doesnt install, just email Digital River stating exactly what their and Microsoft web site stated about installing into a computer with no existing OS and you will probably end up with a free full version :p