Buyer Beware! Don't choose a DELL!

Here's my experience.

The first week of April 2004, I am considering ordering a Dell
Dimension 8300. I tell the sales rep on the phone that I am undecided,
will look at other systems first before making a decision. The sales
rep tells me " If you order now, I will upgrade your CRT monitor to a
flat screen CRT for no extra cost." I agree and she takes my order.

When I recieved the Dell from UPS, I open the box and discover that I
got the cheaper monitor that I did not want, and the computer case is
scratched up, looking much like a refurbished computer (the box was
not damaged at all, however it was not packed well). I call to
complain, and after being on hold for close to an hour, the customer
service person tells me that I did not pay for the more expensive
monitor and will have to accept the one I recieved. He tells me that
they can replace the computer, but I will have to wait 2 weeks, have
to return the monitor as well, and I'm still stuck with the cheaper
model. His english was so terrible I could barely understand him, so I
ask to speak to another rep. The next rep's english was just as poor
and I got the same response. I told them that I was UNDECIDED about
accepting another computer, and was contimplating sending this one
back for a full refund. I left it at that.

The next day, I tried out the computer and it froze when I attempted
to watch a DVD. It happended several times, so I called their service
tech. I was on hold for OVER an hour, so I waited to call back the
following day. This time I got through in 20 minutes and got another
person that could barely speak English. I explain
what was going on, could barely understand his response, and I ask for
someone you was more proficient with the English language. He jokes
that all calls to customer service and the Dell tech department are
now channelled to New Dehli, India, and that I would have to deal with
it.
At that point, my mind was made up to send back the Dell. I call Dell
again, inform them that I no longer want the computer, and that I want
a full refund. I explain the whole story again to another
hard-to-understand Cust.Serv. rep, and now they decide to offer me the
better monitor that I was originally expecting. I tell them that I'm
no longer interested, and I want to return the computor.
We set up the return, I repackaged the system and waited for UPS.
UPS shows up with another computer! I refuse it and ask the driver to
take the one I have. The driver tells me that UPS is very frustrated
with Dell because of these kind of problems, and takes my computer
with him, and gives me a reciept.

A week later, I check with Dell again and ask how long it will take to
get the refund. To add to my stress, another rep tells me that
"Someone else signed for your replacement computer, our records show
that you accepted it," and that they do not owe me a refund. I'm livid
at this point, and they tell me I have to wait a few days for them to
research the problem, and then try calling back. (Keep in mind that
everytime I call, I am on hold forever).

My next contact with them, they tell me that they made a mistake and
will issue me a refund in "5 to 8 weeks!" I threaten with the attorney
general, and BBB.
I waited to the end of May, and then called Dell back again. This time
they tell me that "the person you talked to did not enter the refusal
correctly, so you will have to wait until we can process your request
for a refund."
It is now almost July, and I still have not recieved a refund, and all
I get is excuses. This has been a nightmare.
Never again will I consider a Dell, no matter what.

"Jim Dep" <jimdep1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here's my experience.
>

> A week later, I check with Dell again and ask how long it will take to
> get the refund. To add to my stress, another rep tells me that
> "Someone else signed for your replacement computer, our records show
> that you accepted it," and that they do not owe me a refund. I'm livid
> at this point, and they tell me I have to wait a few days for them to
> research the problem, and then try calling back. (Keep in mind that
> everytime I call, I am on hold forever).
>
> My next contact with them, they tell me that they made a mistake and
> will issue me a refund in "5 to 8 weeks!" I threaten with the attorney
> general, and BBB.
> I waited to the end of May, and then called Dell back again. This time
> they tell me that "the person you talked to did not enter the refusal
> correctly, so you will have to wait until we can process your request
> for a refund."
> It is now almost July, and I still have not recieved a refund, and all
> I get is excuses. This has been a nightmare.
> Never again will I consider a Dell, no matter what.

Sounds like the UPS guy may have a scam going on the side. You refused the
delivery so he has one of his buddies sign for it and then they sell it or
keep it.

As already noted call you CC company.

Next time you buy from any PC manufacture have them fax or email you a quote
for you verification prior to providing you payment info.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

Immediately contact your CC company to dispute the charges.
Hopefully you already have.

I would doubt the comments made by UPS are an official comment by UPS
so they should be suspect at best.
Most companies are careful about such statements and employees that
make such statements often find themselves unemployed for representing
company policy/opinion.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> [...]

> that you accepted it," and that they do not owe me a refund. I'm livid
> at this point, and they tell me I have to wait a few days for them to
> research the problem, and then try calling back. (Keep in mind that
> everytime I call, I am on hold forever).
>
> My next contact with them, they tell me that they made a mistake and
> will issue me a refund in "5 to 8 weeks!" I threaten with the attorney
> general, and BBB.
> I waited to the end of May, and then called Dell back again. This time
> they tell me that "the person you talked to did not enter the refusal
> correctly, so you will have to wait until we can process your request
> for a refund."
> It is now almost July, and I still have not recieved a refund, and all
> I get is excuses. This has been a nightmare.
> Never again will I consider a Dell, no matter what.

when I ordered my Dell (M60) I first configured a system on their web. Then
I faxed them my requirements, they faxed back a quote against which I then
faxed them an order again outlining MY requirements and their quote
reference. In the mean time I also spoke with a sales rep just to confirm
this was acceptable and to obtain a direct link with someone. While I know
this sounds over the top at least everything is in then writing.........

eric

"Eric Shune" <dj@124btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Jim Dep" <jimdep1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> when I ordered my Dell (M60) I first configured a system on their web.
Then
> I faxed them my requirements, they faxed back a quote against which I then
> faxed them an order again outlining MY requirements and their quote
> reference. In the mean time I also spoke with a sales rep just to confirm
> this was acceptable and to obtain a direct link with someone. While I know
> this sounds over the top at least everything is in then writing.........

I do the same thing via email. I email the sales rep I've been using for
quite a while a PDF copy of the system configured on the web. I then get an
email back with a quote which I verify and then email back payment info and
customer number if one exists. Works like a charm.

I've been doing this for over 5 years. Every so often the sale rep I've been
using moves on but I have always received an email directing me to their
replacement.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"

"Jim Dep" <jimdep1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here's my experience.
>
> The first week of April 2004, I am considering ordering a Dell
> Dimension 8300. I tell the sales rep on the phone that I am undecided,
> will look at other systems first before making a decision. The sales
> rep tells me " If you order now, I will upgrade your CRT monitor to a
> flat screen CRT for no extra cost." I agree and she takes my order.
>
> When I recieved the Dell from UPS, I open the box and discover that I
> got the cheaper monitor that I did not want, and the computer case is
> scratched up, looking much like a refurbished computer (the box was
> not damaged at all, however it was not packed well).

You were lucky they used UPS. My last order from Dell, and it will be my
last order because of the run around I got from the Indians, they sent $200
worth of equipment on some off brand shipper, who left the box on a chair by
my front door. About a week before that a city cop had had his bicycle
stolen about 20 feet from that spot. If I spend the money for first class
equipment, why would I want second class shipping and service?

Dennis

Hi Jim,
In the age of low computer prices tech support and customer service is not
what it use to be.I purchase an XPS box in April 2004 from the outlet store.
The packing were not that great, the carton had a few pieces of flimsy
foam. The computer was not damaged in shipping. I noticed the difference
over the years in docs, packing, etc. I would continue the process with Dell
to get yourself another computer and monitor, you are satisfied with.
If you need advice on products this is the place to come.
Good Luck,
Carolyn

> [...]

> that you accepted it," and that they do not owe me a refund. I'm livid
> at this point, and they tell me I have to wait a few days for them to
> research the problem, and then try calling back. (Keep in mind that
> everytime I call, I am on hold forever).
>
> My next contact with them, they tell me that they made a mistake and
> will issue me a refund in "5 to 8 weeks!" I threaten with the attorney
> general, and BBB.
> I waited to the end of May, and then called Dell back again. This time
> they tell me that "the person you talked to did not enter the refusal
> correctly, so you will have to wait until we can process your request
> for a refund."
> It is now almost July, and I still have not received a refund, and all
> I get is excuses. This has been a nightmare.
> Never again will I consider a Dell, no matter what.

Sorry for the three posts.

"Carolyn Taliaferro" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > that you accepted it," and that they do not owe me a refund. I'm livid
> > at this point, and they tell me I have to wait a few days for them to
> > research the problem, and then try calling back. (Keep in mind that
> > everytime I call, I am on hold forever).
> >
> > My next contact with them, they tell me that they made a mistake and
> > will issue me a refund in "5 to 8 weeks!" I threaten with the attorney
> > general, and BBB.
> > I waited to the end of May, and then called Dell back again. This time
> > they tell me that "the person you talked to did not enter the refusal
> > correctly, so you will have to wait until we can process your request
> > for a refund."
> > It is now almost July, and I still have not received a refund, and all
> > I get is excuses. This has been a nightmare.
> > Never again will I consider a Dell, no matter what.

Thanks for your support on this. I'm reading some good suggestions
about getting a signed invoice first, before making the actual
purchase.
Dell is using high pressure tactics to make a quick sale, and I was
too trusting. I don't think I'll ever make a purchase like this on
line again,
but if I do, I'll take your advice!

Regarding the email, I emailed the sales rep back immediatly, once I
discovered
the two problems. She did not email me back.....Dehna Mikals is the
name she used (another employee informed me that most Dell people
don't use their real names). I then got her voice mail, and left a
detailed message....no return call. I gave up with her.

UPS comments:
I think the UPS driver felt comfortable enough with me to share his
recent experiences concerning Dell. He has been the only driver in
this little town for a long time, and we cross paths once in a while.
According to him, he hears similar complaints from other local
customers and witnesses this kind of bad business from Dell first
hand. Just to clarify, Dell did admit on a later date that they made a
mistake about someone accepting the replacement computer on my behalf.
Before that, however, one Dell CSR really put me on edge for a week
saying that someone else signed to accept the delivery. Even knowing
this, Dell would not contact me, and that I was the one who had to
continue the pursuit to get a straight answer. I don't think it has
happened yet!
Not once in writing, have they made any apology.

After I re-read my original post from yesterday, I may have come
accross as being prejudice against non-English speaking people. I am
not, but the point I'm trying to make is that Dell is being deceitful.
In my case, Dell is using the language barrier to their advangtage,
while finger pointing at their own employees, accusing each other of
having "poor training". I am convinced that they do this by design.

Main Point: I sent the computer back, and they recieved and signed for
it on May 2nd.
Here it is June 17th, and they have not issued me a refund, while
continuing to make excusses, blaming other employees. This garbage
really takes its toll on my nerves, and I hope I can prevent someone
from having to experience this.

Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like the UPS guy may have a scam going on the side. You refused the
> delivery so he has one of his buddies sign for it and then they sell it or
> keep it.

Uh, yeah! Then the driver can use his utility knife to chase off the
internal auditors.

> As already noted call you CC company.

Definitely. Turn five hours on the phone into a relatively painless charge
back.

> Next time you buy from any PC manufacture have them fax or email you a quote
> for you verification prior to providing you payment info.

Couldn't agree more.

The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
following:

> Sorry for the three posts.

Ever heard of cancelling?

[80 lines snipped]

And ofcourse it was relevant to include the whole conversation in your
excuse?

:(

LaVacheQuiRit wrote:

> The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
> following:
>
> > Sorry for the three posts.
>
> Ever heard of cancelling?

In Carolyn's defense, not all NSPs/Newsreaders allow cancellations.

Notan

LaVacheQuiRit <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote:

>The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
>following:

>> Sorry for the three posts.

>Ever heard of cancelling?
>
>[80 lines snipped]
>
>And ofcourse it was relevant to include the whole conversation in your
>excuse?

:mad:

And you are an exceptionally snide, verging on rude, twit.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

"LaVacheQuiRit" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
> The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
> following:
>
>> Sorry for the three posts.
>
> Ever heard of cancelling?
>
> [80 lines snipped]
>
> And ofcourse it was relevant to include the whole conversation in your
> excuse?
>
> :(

Thank you, captain obvious.

The organic entity known as Notan communicated the following:

> LaVacheQuiRit wrote:
>>
>> The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
>> following:
>>
>> > Sorry for the three posts.
>>
>> Ever heard of cancelling?
>
> In Carolyn's defense, not all NSPs/Newsreaders allow cancellations.
>
> Notan

I agree, but a least you could try :)

Hans

I can't believe you guys are falling for this troll...

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message

> Immediately contact your CC company to dispute the charges.
> Hopefully you already have.

I hope by now you have disputed the CC charge.
Every time I have done this, I was immediately advised to deduct the amount
from my bill before paying it. Hopefully your
CC company treats you as well as ours treats us.
]

LaVacheQuiRit wrote:
> The organic entity known as Notan communicated the following:
>

>>LaVacheQuiRit wrote:
>>
>>>The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
>>>following:

>>>Ever heard of cancelling?
>>
>>In Carolyn's defense, not all NSPs/Newsreaders allow cancellations.
>>
>>Notan
>

> I agree, but a least you could try :)

How do you know she didn't, cowbreath?

Jim,
Welcome to the typical modern day Dell service!
"Jim Dep" <jimdep1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your support on this. I'm reading some good suggestions
> about getting a signed invoice first, before making the actual
> purchase.
> Dell is using high pressure tactics to make a quick sale, and I was
> too trusting. I don't think I'll ever make a purchase like this on
> line again,
> but if I do, I'll take your advice!
>
> Regarding the email, I emailed the sales rep back immediatly, once I
> discovered
> the two problems. She did not email me back.....Dehna Mikals is the
> name she used (another employee informed me that most Dell people
> don't use their real names). I then got her voice mail, and left a
> detailed message....no return call. I gave up with her.
>
> UPS comments:
> I think the UPS driver felt comfortable enough with me to share his
> recent experiences concerning Dell. He has been the only driver in
> this little town for a long time, and we cross paths once in a while.
> According to him, he hears similar complaints from other local
> customers and witnesses this kind of bad business from Dell first
> hand. Just to clarify, Dell did admit on a later date that they made a
> mistake about someone accepting the replacement computer on my behalf.
> Before that, however, one Dell CSR really put me on edge for a week
> saying that someone else signed to accept the delivery. Even knowing
> this, Dell would not contact me, and that I was the one who had to
> continue the pursuit to get a straight answer. I don't think it has
> happened yet!
> Not once in writing, have they made any apology.
>
> After I re-read my original post from yesterday, I may have come
> accross as being prejudice against non-English speaking people. I am
> not, but the point I'm trying to make is that Dell is being deceitful.
> In my case, Dell is using the language barrier to their advangtage,
> while finger pointing at their own employees, accusing each other of
> having "poor training". I am convinced that they do this by design.
>
> Main Point: I sent the computer back, and they recieved and signed for
> it on May 2nd.
> Here it is June 17th, and they have not issued me a refund, while
> continuing to make excusses, blaming other employees. This garbage
> really takes its toll on my nerves, and I hope I can prevent someone
> from having to experience this.

Jim Dep,
Did you file a complaint with UPS, since they seem to be at fault, for allowing someone else to sign for the purchase? They should be able to tell you, who signed for the package. And a missing/stolen report should be filed with them.

Can you explain to me and others, why it is Dell's fault that a UPS driver would let another person sign for a delivery, when it seems not to be authorized by the original purchaser? Are you saying that its Dells fault, because they have not complained to UPS, because their drivers do not follow UPS procedures, by making sure that they get a signature from the purchaser or someone that is authorized to sign for it. If no one is available, then a delivery notice should be left, notifying the person that a the item can be picked up at a distribution center, or that a 2nd delivery can be scheduled. I would be very angry, if I had to pay approximately $100.00 in shipping costs, for a desktop & monitor, and the driver just let anyone to sign for it.

I live in an apartment bldg, that has staff working in an office for the complex. And for a long time the UPS driver, postal worker, and other delivery services would just leave the packages with them, not even attempting to deliver the package to the purchaser at their apt door, first. Complaints were made when packages were received damaged or came up missing. So in many cases, purchasers did not have the chance to refuse delivery, or at the minimum make out a damage report with the shipper. And this report is required by many senders & shipping insurance companies, to either get a replacement or get a refund for the purchase. The office changed their policy by not accepting packages any more, requiring that the deliverer actually make an attempt to deliver it to the addressee. When the change came, some delivery personnel seeing that had to actually deliver the package, started to just leave a non-delivery slip, without even attempting to make the first delivery. After several of these, "failed" deliveries, I complained to my local UPS distribution center, about their drivers, and now, a delivery is attempted. And when it not, I call them back to complain, and schedule the next day for delivery.

I live in the Detroit, MI area, so I must be lucky with Dell purchases, returns, repairs, because they use AirborneExpress/DHL to deliver their products here, or to send back to their depots. Which so far, everything that was delivered by them, required a signature. In other areas, they have no choice but to use UPS, or smaller carriers. If you worry that you might have a problem with delivery, then after making an on-line order, call Dell and talk to a sales person about your order. Make sure you tell them, who you want the delivery signed by, and no one else. This is also true if you make the order by phone.

If you made your purchase with a credit card, call them, find out what their policy is, when they credit back to their cards purchases. Some say it might take one (1) or more billing cycles before a credit is made. If they are saying that Dell has not sent the credit to them yet, then you should dispute the charges with your CC company.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Jim Dep" <jimdep1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<Snipped to save Bandwidth>

> UPS comments:
> I think the UPS driver felt comfortable enough with me to share his
> recent experiences concerning Dell. He has been the only driver in
> this little town for a long time, and we cross paths once in a while.
> According to him, he hears similar complaints from other local
> customers and witnesses this kind of bad business from Dell first
> hand. Just to clarify, Dell did admit on a later date that they made a
> mistake about someone accepting the replacement computer on my behalf.
> Before that, however, one Dell CSR really put me on edge for a week
> saying that someone else signed to accept the delivery. Even knowing
> this, Dell would not contact me, and that I was the one who had to
> continue the pursuit to get a straight answer. I don't think it has
> happened yet!
> Not once in writing, have they made any apology.
>
> After I re-read my original post from yesterday, I may have come
> accross as being prejudice against non-English speaking people. I am
> not, but the point I'm trying to make is that Dell is being deceitful.
> In my case, Dell is using the language barrier to their advangtage,
> while finger pointing at their own employees, accusing each other of
> having "poor training". I am convinced that they do this by design.
>
> Main Point: I sent the computer back, and they recieved and signed for
> it on May 2nd.
> Here it is June 17th, and they have not issued me a refund, while
> continuing to make excusses, blaming other employees. This garbage
> really takes its toll on my nerves, and I hope I can prevent someone
> from having to experience this.

For those responding suggesting that UPS share the blame,
I respectfully state that you are completely missing the point.

After a Dell CRS lied to me that someone else (a name I did not
recognize)signed at my home for a replacement computer, Dell admitted
a week later that their records show that the replacement computer
was, infact refused by me, and was sent back via UPS just like I told
them originally. Also keep mind that I never asked Dell for a
replacement computer. DEll was obviously trying to slam dunk the sale
to avoid sending me my refund. Dell then said I would recieve my
refund ASAP. From April 1st to June 18th and I still have no refund.
They NEVER call me to keep me up-to-date.

Tell me again why that's not Dell's fault....?!!

Did you dispute the charges with you credit card company?

If you did not, what can I say?

Rerat/Rich wrote:

> Jim Dep,
> Did you file a complaint with UPS, since they seem to be at fault, for allowing someone else to sign for the purchase? They should be able to tell you, who signed for the package. And a missing/stolen report should be filed with them.

You've raised good points. I also wonder if the OP can put himself in
Dell's place (or any business, for that matter) for a moment and
consider what his response would be if a customer claimed he hadn't
received his package, yet they have a signed delivery notice from UPS
for the shipment?