Buyer Beware, Fake AMD CPUs May Be Selling On Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Ebay and Amazon rock! Its not their fault shady people take advantage of them... Though I prefer Ebay over Amazon, because the Ebay review system is better than Amazons... But then again I buy my computer stuff from fairly reputable sites like Tigerdirect or Newegg... And I make sure I know what I am buying... I feel bad for the people getting ripped off... But hopefully you learn from it...

G

I don't like Amazon anymore. Now that they allow anyone to open an Amazon store, each with different shipping policy etc, it just sucks.

The worst is seeing 3-4 different listings for the same item, at a different price point, different shipping prices. It's like Aliexpress now.

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Amazon also has Samsung micro SD cards that are counterfeit. They only write at 2-3MB/s and the files are corrupted. So much for trying to save $30. Won't make the same mistake again.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I remember a couple years ago, Amazon was having trouble with those coffee mugs that resemble big, expensive camera lenses. People would buy the $2,500 lenses, return the box with the coffee mug lookalike inside and get a full refund. Later someone else would spend $2,500 to get that coffee mug.

Obviously Amazon took responsibility for it and sent them a lens once contacted, but still, that's a hell of a way for a company to lose thousands of dollars at a time.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Amazon has a long record of having sellers sell counterfeit products. I got burned on Gillette Mach 3 razor cartridges many years ago.
Yeah, same here. When i built my first PC i bought a hyper 212+ off a seller on amazon.

When I got it in the mail it was in bits and pieces inside the box. Seller tried blaming shipping, but the box and product box were in perfect condition.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Amazon also has Samsung micro SD cards that are counterfeit. They only write at 2-3MB/s and the files are corrupted. So much for trying to save $30. Won't make the same mistake again.

There are things I'll buy on Amazon and there's things I won't. I agree with canadianvice, fulfilled by Amazon purchases are less prone to problems and if you do have issues they'll take care of it.

With that being said, I personally think rechargeable batteries suffer from more counterfeiting than any other category of product I've shopped for online. Especially Li-ion batteries. You have to not only buy Amazon-fulfilled, but you have to stick to brand names which use select premium cells from companies you trust. Even then it's still possible to get fake/relabeled/etc product. Some examples: It would not be uncommon for a low mAh product to be relabeled to a much higher capacity, for a really cheap (even dangerous) battery to be carefully labeled to look like a high-end protected brand-name model, or even for reclaimed (used) cells to be relabeled and sold as new.

My personal favorite is when someone claims to be selling a 18650 battery using a specific top-tier cell, and the mAh rating they're claiming is way higher than anything that manufacturer produces. But if you didn't know any better... you might be ignorant and happy without anything better to compare it to. Sure it only lasted 20 charge cycles, but that's normal right? :p

f-14

Distinguished
it's either the egyptians, the 'pinos, the macedonians or the chinese. from experience those are the major scammers in the world.
i see alot of chinese vendor video cards on ebay claiming to be 650GTX's and 250X's and such and the reviews are proving other wise.

do your research and you're fine, ALWAYS CHECK THE REVIEWS FOR BAD COMMENTS those are the first flags of scamming. also take reviews with a grain of salt with bad reviews, alot of people claim to know what they are talking about and express mistakes only noobs make.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Remember when newegg used to be good? Now its a confusing mess... like Amazon, in which you get various versions of the same product with different pricing from different vendors OTHER than newegg.

If I wanted to buy from some small vendor, I'd get it from eBay or some shit.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I'm confused as to why they didn't do this with a compatible AMD chip, like one of the oldest cheapest AM3 chips and the FX series. Wouldn't that be a lot harder to be found out doing? How did they expect to get away with this? If people are paying by credit card isn't there a 30-day window before they even get the cash from the card company?

I only buy cheap crap from Amazon's 3rd party sellers, like janky Chinese screwdrivers and ODB2 readers. If it's more than a few bucks I'll go somewhere more reliable.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Quixit, the scammers are probably getting the CPUs from a recycler or their own buissness when people bring in their old computer and have their files transfered to the new one. Normal consumers Dont hold on to their old hardware.

That said, they do require minimum standards as good as their own - or at least, that's what Amazon says.

SonSon1

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Quite the alarmist click bait article.

First, there are not being sold by Amazon but rather by shady third party sellers *through Amazon*, and second, Amazon has a 30 day no questions asked return period, so this is basically a non-issue.

Are you seriously asking for common sense?? Does that thing still exist?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I just had the weirdest issue with Amazon. I bought a $400 set of new brakes and calipers from them. This was only for the front brakes on my truck. They shipped me an $800 set of brakes and calipers for a Mustang. They won't fit my truck =(. So I shipped back, they sent the correct part soon after. They also for some reason gave me back $400. When I told them they gave me the replacement and a refund, they thought something was wrong and gave me an additional $400 gift card. It took me a week to convince them to take my money and take back their gift card.

Status
Not open for further replies.