[SOLVED] Buyer Beware

CWL7454

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
I realize that a moderator will probably not allow this post, but here goes. I wanted to upgrade to Win 11 and in researching I came across a site from Tom's Hardware (how to upgrade to Win 10 for free or under $30.00), which I am guesing you haver to do before you can get the forthcoming Win 11 or 12, explaining how to do it. In the article it gave 5 or 6 company links to accomplish this with 2 of them being on the cheap side. Was not comfortable with the first site I went to; (turns out it had numerous complaints against them) so went to the second one; PCDestination: figured that it was legite because it was directed/included in this article and didn't think that this site would list a company/business that was a ripoff. I learned the hard way for $44.99 got an invalid product activation key for Windows 10 Home. No response from them for a working key or refund after numourous emails and evan a phone call which got me to a recording and of course no response. Since then went to another site and got a working key for $79.00. Also since then went to BBB and got this:
Pattern of Complaints:
BBB has received a pattern of complaints and negative customer reviews from customers concerning issues they have had receiving software that does not work. Customers have stated that product keys needed to activate the software either are not provided or do not work. BBB contacted the business in December 2017 regarding the pattern of complaints, but have not received a response at this time.

Solution
What ever Microsoft do next, scammers will be there.

If they drop the number completely and just sell it as Windows, then people will be sold the previous versions as "Windows" as that is what they are. Minor technicality its the wrong version.

Win 10 is likely to just be upgraded for as long as they can get away with it. There might be some update so fundamental they cannot integrate it into current windows, but unlike old versions, The installer gets updated with all previous changes every 6 months so anything new can just be added.

Its a shame you found that article and not the forums first. we may have dissuaded you away from the cheap options.
Not only will we allow it, not counting the false indication of a Windows 11/12 since there is no such thing, but we agree. That was a terrible article and it flies in the face of the rules and best efforts we make to steer users clear from trying to use "cheap keys" from "gray sites". Had you posted a question in the forum asking if it was advisable to try going that route, we'd have told you no, and that it was a bad idea on MANY fronts.

So, you are preaching to the choir here and you need to understand that there is a VERY TALL fence, with clear delineation, between editorial and community on TH, and many other sites for that matter.

You go to the editorial side for news copy and marketing. You come to this side for real advice and suggestions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What ever Microsoft do next, scammers will be there.

If they drop the number completely and just sell it as Windows, then people will be sold the previous versions as "Windows" as that is what they are. Minor technicality its the wrong version.

Win 10 is likely to just be upgraded for as long as they can get away with it. There might be some update so fundamental they cannot integrate it into current windows, but unlike old versions, The installer gets updated with all previous changes every 6 months so anything new can just be added.

Its a shame you found that article and not the forums first. we may have dissuaded you away from the cheap options.

Reactions: Grobe
Solution