[SOLVED] Buying £3,000 PC, Socket 1151 or 2066? [HELP!]

antartika

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
NUpIoao.png

Hello, I am wondering what would be the best motherboard socket to use for GAMING Only+ Future Proof, from DDR3 Upgrade. Please no AMD.

I currently have/built myself:
  1. CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor 4GHz-stock
  2. RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
  3. Graphic Card: GTX 970 4GB Graphic Card
  4. Cooler: H100i (CPU Cooler)
  5. Power Supply: Corsair 1000RM (Silent)
BUDGET £3,000

IF I went with Socket 1151 I would get this bundle:

3b5TbLr.png

IF I went with Socket 2066 I would get this bundle:

irbhFms.png

And this Graphic Card:

Zsh143s.png

So yeah what do you think? I know 32 GB of RAM and 64 GB of RAM is 100% overkill but yeah it's one of those might as well kinda thing seen as i have a 3k budget lol

Scan website only I am buying it from.

Also I Have Super Wide Acer Predator Z35P 35 1800r, 120Hz Overclocked Monitor. 2k resolution

Or do you think i should get 2080 Ti ? by dropping the price down a bit? via CPU & RAM?

Or do i wait for i10 series and 3,000 series of graphic card??

Last edited:
Solution
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-comet-lake-s-10th-gen-geekbench-benchmark

There is a lot of rumor that this CPU will be on LGA 1200 and not LGA 1151. Its still rumor until Intel announces it but I wouldn't be surprised. 2066 might last longer but most likely with anything you will have to upgrade boards every two CPUs or so.

As I said either platform would be fine with the 2066 platform being better if multicore becomes more important due to more cores. Although might be worth waiting for the 10th gen 2066 CPUs to come out if you go that route.

Bets bet is to just go with what you need and just upgrade the GPU every couple of years. I honestly think upgrading a CPU is not worth it unless you start and the very bottom...
Honest to god this is a bit of a pickle. Both of those sockets are probably close to EoL for Intel. There is rumor of a new socket either way.

In terms of longevity the 2066 socket would probably last longer since you can get more cores (up to 18). Also wouldn't be able to say much for future proofing. Its not as easy as it seems.

antartika

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Yeah that's what i mean, i feel the same haha they are equal in a way...both powerful as hell, and oh there's a new socket coming out already? lol damn they release them like a gumball machine haha.

Well future proofing only for cpu and ram as for graphic card would probably need upgrading constantly lol, but yeah i'm still stuck tbh :( not really sure at all.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-comet-lake-s-10th-gen-geekbench-benchmark

There is a lot of rumor that this CPU will be on LGA 1200 and not LGA 1151. Its still rumor until Intel announces it but I wouldn't be surprised. 2066 might last longer but most likely with anything you will have to upgrade boards every two CPUs or so.

As I said either platform would be fine with the 2066 platform being better if multicore becomes more important due to more cores. Although might be worth waiting for the 10th gen 2066 CPUs to come out if you go that route.

Bets bet is to just go with what you need and just upgrade the GPU every couple of years. I honestly think upgrading a CPU is not worth it unless you start and the very bottom level and go higher. If you have a top end CPU then you can hold for 5 or so years to build a new system with better everything.

Solution

antartika

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
hmm i guess..and im tempted to buy i9 extreme 1k cpu TOP end only cpu ram and not graphic card cos that's a joke of a price lol but yeah other components i will only buy top end, so you say I should wait for i10 hmm yeah cos nvidia is bringing out 3000 serious of graphic card also, so reckon i should wait for 3 series graphic card cos that's coming out 2020 in may...?

Last edited:
The info is that Intel has cut the 2066 10th gen price in half. So the 10980XE, the replacement for the 9980XE, would be $1K US or 775 British Pounds. A nice drop for a slightly better version of the same processor.

And waiting for nVidias 3000 series may not be a bad idea. Would certainly be a boost and hopefully a better priced one.

However don't keep waiting. There is always better around the corner. I just think waiting for the 10th gen to have price cuts to buy is a great idea. Save the money and put it into something else like a better PSU or GPU.