Question Buying a 3.5mm to RCA adapter

ComputerWhiz305

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
Just recently purchased a new TV (a TCL 55" Roku). Unlike my previous TVs, it does not have the once standard RCA cables for legacy devices (my Wii). It does have a spot to connect a 3.5mm AV adapter.

I purchased an adapter on Amazon (since the TV didn't some with one) and was pretty disappointed to find out that connectors were not correct (the video had to go into the white connector) and the picture was very unstable (would change to static with the slightest move of the adapter).

Upon reading into the reviews on other adapters available through Amazon, it appears that these types of issues are common with these adapters. Most of them have lots of low reviews with people claiming the connectors were not color coded correctly (like mine) and that they had to unplug the adapter slightly to get it work (similar to mine).

Is there some trick to buying these adapters? I know people that have bought them before without any issue, but it seems like a lot of people have trouble.

There are probably 200 audio/video adapters adapters on Amazon, not all will be of good quality, especially if you go by price. There is no real trick to those, even the best quality parts can have issues, although a lot less than the generic stuff from China. For the Wii they make HDMI adapters but looks like you will need a separate audio out connection for them https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDC8WB...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==