Question Buying a brand new PSU from a person

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $94.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 18:07 EDT-0400

I do not live in the NA, so newegg is a no-no for me. The rmx is abit more expensive compared to the focus plus. Why would you recommend this one over the focus plus, though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralston18

Titan
"Future proof" is very dependent on what you plan to do or may have to do with respect to the requirements of whatever software and hardware becomes necessary.

I would go with Dark Lord's recommendation even if I had come up with something else on my own.....

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
"Future proof" is very dependent on what you plan to do or may have to do with respect to the requirements of whatever software and hardware becomes necessary.

I would go with Dark Lord's recommendation even if I had come up with something else on my own.....

Why though? Isn’t the seasonic focus plus good? According to johnnyguru, it got a better total score than Rmx series.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Will 650W be enough for overclocking my cpu and future cpu?

Current:
i5 3570k
Gigabyte ga z77m-d3h
Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 ram
Phanteks p400
Asus dual fan rx 480
Crucial mx500 500gb ssd
Corsair 120gb
500gb harddrive

Future changes:
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600
Mb: msi carbon gaming b450
Ram: corsair vengeance 2x8gb @3000mhz

Ralston18

Titan
There are any number of good products available but any individual purchase could be bad with regards to the end user who purchased it. Simple statistic that applies to any product purchase.

Things are being made as cheaply as possible, with little or no QA (Quality Assurance), and usually with some rush to get something shipped.... I.e., you may receive (wrongly) a refurbished product instead of new but the shipper met the time requirements to get the box out the door.

Most products are tested under ideal conditions or with some other criteria that may be hidden in the fine print.

Scoring can be easily weighted one way or another to favor Product X over Product Y.

When I research a product, such as a PSU, I look at reviews by professional reviewers and verified buyers.

And I like to read the product(s) User Guides/Manuals, the manufacturer's website's FAQ and Forums. I look for what is said and what is not said.

There are always trade-offs: quality, availability, performance, weight, price, compatibility. ("Compatible with" makes me very cautious.)

That all said, if I find, learn, or discover that someone knowledgeable and experienced recommends or simply suggests a product it is always a good idea to pay attention. Hence the Cosair RM.

As for 650 watts - maybe.

There are online calculators to help select the necessary PSU wattage. Use two or three of them to add up the wattages of the components you plan to install. Get a consensus on what that wattage value is. Then add 25%.

Not a perfect process but it is a least something.

Your total value may end up being 650 watts as an end wattage value. Purchasing a 750 watt PSU gives you a fairly broad margin with respect to being able to add new components or upgrade to more power demanding components in the future.

May cost more to go with 750 watts. With PSU's likely a good trade-off.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
There are any number of good products available but any individual purchase could be bad with regards to the end user who purchased it. Simple statistic that applies to any product purchase.

Things are being made as cheaply as possible, with little or no QA (Quality Assurance), and usually with some rush to get something shipped.... I.e., you may receive (wrongly) a refurbished product instead of new but the shipper met the time requirements to get the box out the door.

Most products are tested under ideal conditions or with some other criteria that may be hidden in the fine print.

Scoring can be easily weighted one way or another to favor Product X over Product Y.

When I research a product, such as a PSU, I look at reviews by professional reviewers and verified buyers.

And I like to read the product(s) User Guides/Manuals, the manufacturer's website's FAQ and Forums. I look for what is said and what is not said.

There are always trade-offs: quality, availability, performance, weight, price, compatibility. ("Compatible with" makes me very cautious.)

That all said, if I find, learn, or discover that someone knowledgeable and experienced recommends or simply suggests a product it is always a good idea to pay attention. Hence the Cosair RM.

As for 650 watts - maybe.

There are online calculators to help select the necessary PSU wattage. Use two or three of them to add up the wattages of the components you plan to install. Get a consensus on what that wattage value is. Then add 25%.

Not a perfect process but it is a least something.

Your total value may end up being 650 watts as an end wattage value. Purchasing a 750 watt PSU gives you a fairly broad margin with respect to being able to add new components or upgrade to more power demanding components in the future.

May cost more to go with 750 watts. With PSU's likely a good trade-off.

”When I research a product, such as a PSU, I look at reviews by professional reviewers and verified buyers.”

That is what I did, I researched this product in the website called ”johnnyguru.com”. The reviewer is recommended by many people, including a known youtuber (think it was jayz2cents). This professional reviewer gave better rating to the seasonic focus plus than the corsair rmx series.

Edit: links to the reviews: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/05/08/corsair-rm750x-2018-750w-power-supply/6/

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

Corsair 9.3 versus Seasonic 9.6

Easily influenced (20% of score) by the pricing at the time of the reviews. Cosair 8 versus Seasonic 10.

Overall if you agree with how the products assessments were made and the corresponding weightings then the Seasonic would be your choice.

You have done your research, found a suitable/acceptable product, and you are now ready to go forward.

That is what matters with respect to such things.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Will 650W be enough for overclocking my cpu and future cpu?

Current:
i5 3570k
Gigabyte ga z77m-d3h
Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 ram
Phanteks p400
Asus dual fan rx 480
Crucial mx500 500gb ssd
Corsair 120gb
500gb harddrive

Future changes:
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600
Mb: msi carbon gaming b450
Ram: corsair vengeance 2x8gb @3000mhz

What if in the future you decide to switch to a different platform, getting a high-end Intel chip that may pull as much as 250W during usage, and switch to a Vega 64 GPU, which may well pull over 300W during usage?

Then suddenly your PSU might be struggling. So, future proof is a little more difficult to say with PSUs because we simply can't predict what you may decide to do next year, or in 5 years, etc.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
What if in the future you decide to switch to a different platform, getting a high-end Intel chip that may pull as much as 250W during usage, and switch to a Vega 64 GPU, which may well pull over 300W during usage?

Then suddenly your PSU might be struggling. So, future proof is a little more difficult to say with PSUs because we simply can't predict what you may decide to do next year, or in 5 years, etc.

I see. What about 850W then? Because components tend to be more efficient as time passes.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Fair enough.

Corsair 9.3 versus Seasonic 9.6

Easily influenced (20% of score) by the pricing at the time of the reviews. Cosair 8 versus Seasonic 10.

Overall if you agree with how the products assessments were made and the corresponding weightings then the Seasonic would be your choice.

You have done your research, found a suitable/acceptable product, and you are now ready to go forward.

That is what matters with respect to such things.

Those two PSU’s are pretty much neck to neck, wouldn’t you say (except price)?

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I have a problem. I recently installed my new psu and now there’s no signal to the monitor. Everything spins and works fine, rgb does come when plugging in eg keyboard but there is no signal. Solutions?