Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
For the record, I'd like to say that around a year ago, a friend bought an Acer Aspire E15 E5-576-392H for somewhere between $300-$350 and bought a 256 GB SSD for it. I set it up and use it occasionally, and find it to be pretty much awesome. I would have bought it without hesitation, but they seem to be sold out on Amazon and the price at the other stores are >$400, so I'm looking for an alternative to that.

1. What is your budget?
$300-$400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" - 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter particularly. Not less than 1366/768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not sure what this means exactly. I will mainly be using it at home, but may travel with it occasionally too.

5. How much battery life do you need?
The bigger the better. This is quite an important feature for me, as we don't have much electricity during the day where I am. Still, my current laptop has an hour at good times and <15 minutes when it wants to be temperamental, so anything would be an improvement. I'm not sure if I'll find something comparable to the Acer Aspire E15 mentioned above with its crazy long-life battery, but if there is something comparable to it, that would be great.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not too important to me. I play World of Tanks, but have been playing it on a 2nd gen Pentium without a dedicated GPU, so again, just about anything would be an improvement on that. My friend's Acer Aspire E15 has done a decent job dealing with everything I've thrown at it.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Possibly a bit of photo/video/audio editing, but not my primary concern.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Hard to say. I don't use Google Docs or any of that stuff due to sketchy internet connectivity, so I think 500 GB is a minimum. I have a 500 GB HDD in my old laptop which I could use on top of an SSD, but I plan to sell the old laptop, so taking the HDD out would make it that much more difficult.
I am almost certainly looking at a computer with both an m.2 and 2.5" bay so that I can have both an SSD and HDD running together.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon.com. There may be other options, but I'd need to check about the possibility of ordering through them, as I'll be ordering through a company who ships stuff from the States to Africa.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Ha! As long as possible! I've got more than 8 years of life out of the secondhand HP ProBook 6450B, and am still using it, so I'm not particularly worried about my computer becoming obsolete. :D

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
They're always nice to have, but not necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference so long as the computer is decent. I haven't seen anyone recommend any knockoff brands on Tomshardware yet, so I think I'm good with anything you would advise me to get.

13. What country do you live in?
West Africa for now, but I'll be ordering from the States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I think 4 GB RAM is too little for me. I am looking more at 6GB-8GB. Also would like at least an Intel I3 or Ryzen 3 as far as CPU is concerned.
Some cheap RAM I found if I get a laptop that can add additional RAM: Only 1 Left Though

I'm not sure how the Acer Aspire E15 E5-576-392H managed to pack so much into their computer at such a cheap price. The battery is awesome, it has a DVD drive, lots of ports, a solid CPU, slots for both m2 and 2.5" drives, etc. A steal of a buy at the price we got it for. If I can find something comparable to it, that would be awesome.

This is the best bet I've come across so far:
Acer Aspire 5
The SSD size is really poor, and I'll definitely need to use another drive with it, I could upgrade the RAM fairly cheaply to 8 GB. Battery life isn't as awesome as the E15, but still good. Do you think I can do better than this, though?

Solution
For the price, it is really difficult. You are really looking at the Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 (If you are lucky) APU's, as they have the best-integrated graphics for the price.

I managed to find a laptop that has a Ryzen 5 APU on Amazon.com, but I am not totally certain around the shipping costs as it is not mentioned until checkout:

Lenovo IdeaPad 330s
  • Ryzen 5 2500u + Vega 8 graphics
  • 8GB RAM DDR4 memory (4GB's soldered + 4GB's in the DIM slot)
  • 256GB NVMe SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 1080p Display
  • realistic average battery life - 2 to 3 hours according to reviews
INFO:
It is the best laptop for the price with pretty decent hardware. For the price, the battery life isn't going to be amazing, around 2 hours most...

WildCard999

Titan
For your budget you may want to consider a used market, here in the US Craigslist is pretty good. I've been looking for a budget gaming system myself and stumbled upon this...
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/sys/d/brattleboro-msi-gaming-laptop/7051821247.html

Something like that would be much better for gaming but your requirements are pretty low so most newer iGPU's would be fine.

The Ryzen 3 your looking at is decent but I agree, it will require more memory.

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks, man. The issue that I've seen with 2nd hand laptops is that normally the battery power is poor or non-existant, and the battery is one of the most important factors for me. Also, the company shipping it down tend to work with "reputable" stores.

Feb 5, 2020
In all honesty, a Chromebook is going to be your best bet for traveling with a budget desktop for "power" and longevity. A 400 dollar desktop is likely to be more powerful than a laptop costing over twice as much. I use a MacBook Pro 15 inch and a desktop costing less and it is far more powerful than the laptop. A laptop is always somewhat a compromise and when your looking at a very budget laptop even more so by far. Chromebooks are very cheap and very portable so you can use that if and when you need to travel and a desktop for home use. Desktops don't overheat, don't have size constraints at least not to the same degree as laptops and if you ever can't run wot you can just install an upgraded graphics card (or any graphics card) and if you build yourself you could just build a Ryzen 3 and get a gpu later though you will need to make sure the Psu supports a gpu(enough wattage / correct connectors) unless you get something like a 1050 which requires no extra connector. Best of both worlds, power, portability, battery life etc. If you can only get one computer, I would check out Lenovo outlet, some of their deals can be quite good.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
For the price, it is really difficult. You are really looking at the Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 (If you are lucky) APU's, as they have the best-integrated graphics for the price.

I managed to find a laptop that has a Ryzen 5 APU on Amazon.com, but I am not totally certain around the shipping costs as it is not mentioned until checkout:

Lenovo IdeaPad 330s
  • Ryzen 5 2500u + Vega 8 graphics
  • 8GB RAM DDR4 memory (4GB's soldered + 4GB's in the DIM slot)
  • 256GB NVMe SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 1080p Display
  • realistic average battery life - 2 to 3 hours according to reviews
INFO:
It is the best laptop for the price with pretty decent hardware. For the price, the battery life isn't going to be amazing, around 2 hours most people say on average. I am not sure around shipping for this one, so you might want to check for yourself and see if other sellers offer better rates

LINKS
  1. Fulfilled by Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Quad-...ct_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=#customerReviews
  2. Vega 8 gaming benchmarks - https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-8-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.260180.0.html
You might find a better deal at an outlet in your region (to avoid shipping costs). Overall, if the link above is not an option due to shipping, try to find a laptop with at least:
  • Ryzen 5 2500u
  • 8GB's DDR4 memory
  • SSD storage (SATA, M.2 or Nvme)
The Ryzen 3 APU's are okay, but it is worth the extra money to get at least a Ryzen 5 series APU.

Solution

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks, Seaweed Monster. I appreciate the effort you went into.
Sometimes, I wonder how Amazon arranges themselves, because despite all my looking I couldn't find anything close to that within my price range, but now that I followed your link, I see not only it, but other interesting options too.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but this model and this model seem to be the same, but at a slightly cheaper rate.
I also saw this DELL, but I can't seem to find reviews for the Ryzen 5 model, only for the Ryzen 3 and 7, which I don't understand. This one comes with 4 GB of RAM and a HDD, but an additional 4 GB of RAM can be purchased for $20 and an NVM SSD is not that expensive these days either. With those additions, it will probably come to roughly $400.
This DELL has an i5 and is 14", but again, I can't seem to find reviews for it outside of Amazon.

Let me know what you think.

From the reviews, it seems to me that the Acer 5 with Ryzen 3200U beats the others for battery life (though obviously significantly less in CPU/GPU power) with apparently about 6.7 hours when running looped videos on almost full brightness, as per here, but they seem to see the battery life as short, so I'm not sure if I'm reading the data wrong.

Thanks for taking your time to advise me. I appreciate it.

PS: Where I am, I haven't seen any Ryzen laptops yet and the newest Intel ones tend to be 4th-5th gen, so a bit outdated.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
@Palador

The Ryzen 3 3200U will be better than a 4th or 5th Gen U series processor, especially in graphics performance.

If possible try to find one with at least an SSD, but as you said, if you're willing to swap an HDD for an SSD and add another stick of RAM, then that is an option, but this can void your laptop's warranty (just be aware). Also, make sure the laptop has at least one DIM slot, so at least you can swap out the existing RAM DIM to add a larger capacity stick of RAM, as some laptop models solder their RAM onto the motherboard.

The Ryzen 5 2500U laptops (Lenovo) you linked look identical, so if it is possible to buy one of them, that would be much better to be honest.

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Yes you are looking for a quad core. you can easily buy a decent office laptop as you have stated dedicated graphic card is not needed. you also need 8gb of ram.
may I suggest buying this one:

HP 255 G7 Ryzen 5 4GB 128GB SSD (and upgrade to 8gb of ram if needed)
https://www.ebuyer.com/957881-hp-25...s&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hotukdeals

top pick:
Lenovo V155-15API AMD Ryzen 5-3500U (4 cores/8 threads)8GB 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch Full HD Display Radeon Vega 8 Windows 10
https://www.ebuyer.com/901659-lenov...s&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hotukdeals

Linx 12x64
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-12X64-12-5-inch-Detachable-Processor/dp/B06Y2W2NJX

here is UK's site where people vote what is worth buying or not:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=laptop
just copy paste this to US price comparison websites in US, this will give you best deal in your country as in US taxes are even lower.

good luck and let us know what you have eventually chosen.

Palador

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks, ficler. I didn't think I'd find something so decently priced in the UK, but good to see.
Sorry for not checking in recently. My buying project has been put on hold for now for various reasons and for some reason I wasn't notified about another reply to this topic.
Thanks once again, and I'll be sure to let you know if anything changes.

TRENDING THREADS