Question Buying a dual channel ram

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Hi
I want to buy 2 4gb single channel ram. If I install them on dual channel sockets are they dual channel ?
what’s the difference between 2 single channel 4 gb ram and one pack with 2*4 gb dual channel ram ?
I can’t find a pack with 2 ram and some brands are too expensive.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked.
Maybe. many factors go into pairing matched sets of RAM, impurities, CAS timings, etc. silicon lottery, do you feel lucky?
the 2 x single sticks MAY or MAY NOT work together. I have had sticks made same factory same day, made one apart, not work together. Serial numbers were 1 apart. no dual channel just reboot-a-rama.
the matched sets are assembled to be together. the chips on the modules are tested and guaranteed to work in dual channel with the chips on the other module. the extra cost covers testing and piece of mind and the speed boost of course.

Hi
I want to buy 2 4gb single channel ram. If I install them on dual channel sockets are they dual channel ?
what’s the difference between 2 single channel 4 gb ram and one pack with 2*4 gb dual channel ram ?
I can’t find a pack with 2 ram and some brands are too expensive.
I think that you are confusing single/dual SIDED memory and single/dual CHANNEL . Any 2 sticks of matched RAM will run in dual CHANNEL if motherboard supports it. Most modern MBs do.
Some MBs may work better with dual or single SIDED RAM and best way to find that is in motherboard's QVL and or it's manual.

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
in order asked.
Maybe. many factors go into pairing matched sets of RAM, impurities, CAS timings, etc. silicon lottery, do you feel lucky?
the 2 x single sticks MAY or MAY NOT work together. I have had sticks made same factory same day, made one apart, not work together. Serial numbers were 1 apart. no dual channel just reboot-a-rama.
the matched sets are assembled to be together. the chips on the modules are tested and guaranteed to work in dual channel with the chips on the other module. the extra cost covers testing and piece of mind and the speed boost of course.
IS it okay to use 2 same ram together ? Or I have to buy a pack of rams ? I have a 8 gb and I want to buy another 8 gb same company and product.
How can I see that my rams are working dual channel or single channel?

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
I think that you are confusing single/dual SIDED memory and single/dual CHANNEL . Any 2 sticks of matched RAM will run in dual CHANNEL if motherboard supports it. Most modern MBs do.
Some MBs may work better with dual or single SIDED RAM and best way to find that is in motherboard's QVL and or it's manual.
So if I use 2 same ram it is dual sided right ?