buying a DVD burner from Dell

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I want to buy a Dell Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Would the DVD
burner from Dell be compatible with all the formats available? They have an
8X DVD+R/RW +CD RW drive at 240$Can or a Dual DRive 8X DVD +RW Drive + 48x
CD RW drove at 385$Can

Also I also wonder if the warranty from Dell will still be valid if I
buy a DVD burner from somewhere else and installed it in my computer.

Thanks,

Richard

My recently purchased 8300 came with a NEC 2100 which is +R only. If you
want a good and inexpensive drive you can get the NEC 2500A from newegg for
less than $100.00 delivered. The 2500A does it all except DVD-RAM. Dell
won't support that drive obviously, but they will support everything else
the machine came with.
RJ

In article <f_ufc.23905$vF3.1531929@news20.bellglobal.com>,
superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca says...
> Hi,
>
> I want to buy a Dell Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Would the DVD
> burner from Dell be compatible with all the formats available? They have an
> 8X DVD+R/RW +CD RW drive at 240$Can or a Dual DRive 8X DVD +RW Drive + 48x
> CD RW drove at 385$Can
>
> Also I also wonder if the warranty from Dell will still be valid if I
> buy a DVD burner from somewhere else and installed it in my computer.

The only DVD format that works with all current/previous formats is the
DVD +/- RW format drives. Notice the clear indication of +/- in the
listing, without it you are getting a single mode drive, meaning a + or
- drive, not a +/- drive.

The DVD-R/RW drives burn DVD-R disks that are the most compatible with
DVD player formats, but lack real data compatibility across the computer
based players/readers. DVD-RW requires you to erase the DVD-RW disk
before you can ADD new material to it.

DVD+R/RW seems to work well in most new units (in the last year) and
also permits on-the-fly updating of DVD-RW disks without having to erase
the DVD-RW disk each time you want to add something to it.

I would get a Sony DVD+/-RW drive if I were you. You can buy an OEM
version for under $150 and install it in most systems without any
problem.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

BigJim

get an after market drive, like the previous poster wrote/
"Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to buy a Dell Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Would the
DVD
> burner from Dell be compatible with all the formats available? They have
an
> 8X DVD+R/RW +CD RW drive at 240$Can or a Dual DRive 8X DVD +RW Drive +
48x
> CD RW drove at 385$Can
>
> Also I also wonder if the warranty from Dell will still be valid if
> buy a DVD burner from somewhere else and installed it in my computer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

Leythos wrote:

> In article <f_ufc.23905$vF3.1531929@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca says...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>> I want to buy a Dell Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Would the DVD
>>burner from Dell be compatible with all the formats available? They have an
>>8X DVD+R/RW +CD RW drive at 240$Can or a Dual DRive 8X DVD +RW Drive + 48x
>>CD RW drove at 385$Can
>>
>> Also I also wonder if the warranty from Dell will still be valid if I
>>buy a DVD burner from somewhere else and installed it in my computer.
>
> The only DVD format that works with all current/previous formats is the
> DVD +/- RW format drives. Notice the clear indication of +/- in the
> listing, without it you are getting a single mode drive, meaning a + or
> - drive, not a +/- drive.
>
> The DVD-R/RW drives burn DVD-R disks that are the most compatible with
> DVD player formats, but lack real data compatibility across the computer
> based players/readers. DVD-RW requires you to erase the DVD-RW disk
> before you can ADD new material to it.
>
> DVD+R/RW seems to work well in most new units (in the last year) and
> also permits on-the-fly updating of DVD-RW disks without having to erase
> the DVD-RW disk each time you want to add something to it.
>
> I would get a Sony DVD+/-RW drive if I were you. You can buy an OEM
> version for under $150 and install it in most systems without any
> problem.

FWIW PCWorld rates a Plextor DVD burner as the best of the current lot.
They down rated the Sony DRU-530A (which I own, BTW) due to slow write
times.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115124,00.asp

I would definitely get a dual format burner (+R(W) & -R(W)) if I were
buying now.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you all for your very interesting information.

Richard

de news:f_ufc.23905$vF3.1531929@news20.bellglobal.com...