Question Buying a external new hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Hello, my 4TB Seagate drive failed recently.

I am looking to buy a new one. I talked to a data recovery expert and he told me that recent hard disks (2017-) are less durable than previous hard disks and that no matter which company's hard disk I buy the failure rates aren't going to better to any 1 of them. Is that true?

Since I like how the Seagate drive looks, I was planning on just buying that one again. Looking at BackBlaze's data, Seagate seems to have the highest failure rates.

I think you have all the info you need. I was going to refer to BackBlaze's data as well. Just last week had a conversation with a friend about failure rates being noticably higher which is likely caused by the focus on other storage types such as SSDs.

Be very aware that from the data report you linked, the number of Seagate drives are much, much higher than the other manufacturers. They show that there are less than 400 Western Digital drives being used.

Personally I'd go for WD, but they've been my prefered brand for as long as I can remember.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
I think you have all the info you need. I was going to refer to BackBlaze's data as well. Just last week had a conversation with a friend about failure rates being noticably higher which is likely caused by the focus on other storage types such as SSDs.

Be very aware that from the data report you linked, the number of Seagate drives are much, much higher than the other manufacturers. They show that there are less than 400 Western Digital drives being used.

Personally I'd go for WD, but they've been my prefered brand for as long as I can remember.

Why is the SSD focus causing higher HDD failure rates?

So you are saying that Seagate's higher failure rate is because more of them are being used?

The market is shifting, therefor the focus is as well. They simply "care less" about the HDD market since higher speed drives, SSDs, are getting more popular.

And what I meant was that there are over 75.000 Seagate drives in the data, against only 400 Western Digital drives. There's over 75.000 drives that have a chance to fail, against only 400 WD drives. Of course Seagate is going to look like their drive failure rate is higher, because there's almost 200 times more drives. Simply more chances given to fail.

popatim

Titan
Hello,

What system are you putting the seagate drive into?? I have had a lot of luck with this company on support very similar to this issue:

There may be another solution or better drive to use in my opinion. Thanks!
Checking out their drives, they use HP's. HP does not make their own drives So you'll get WD's (desktop models) or Seagate (Server models - usually Cheetas)
No change there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.