Question Buying a gaming laptop

odedgal67

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
Hey everyone,
I am considering buying a gaming laptop which specs are as following:

- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Six Core Processor, 9M Cache, 2.20 GHz up to 4.10 GHz
- Graphic Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with NVIDIA® Max-Q Design Technology, 6GB GDDR5 video memory
- RAM Memory: 16GB‎ DDR4 2666MHz (8GBx2)
- HDD & SSD Memory: 1TB (5400RPM) Sata + 256GB SSD
- Display: 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit
- Battery: 56 WHr, 4-Cell Battery (integrated)
- Ports: 1 x Headphone/Mic
3 x SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A including one with PowerShare
1 x Type-C™ Thunderbolt™ 3 with support for 40 Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort
1 x HDMI 2.0
1 x Power/DC-in Jack
1 x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45

and I have a few questions:

1. Is the laptop powerful enough to run modern games like BFV, PUBG smoothly on highest settings?
  1. I would like to know if CPU and GPU will work well together or one of them will bottleneck the other's performance
  2. Will I be able to connect 2 monitors to it (I dont understand how the port saying "Type C with support for display port" works)
  3. I have never worked with a good laptop before and my biggest concern is if the performance will last for a few years. (Every laptop I have ever worked with, that is 2 years old, was incredibly slow and frustrating)
  4. I have read that laptop components are not as powerful as their PC equivalents. Is it true and does it mean that I should take into consideration that "System Requirements" published for games does not apply to my laptop?

Sorry for the long post and many questions, I hope you can answer them all since this is a big purchase for me and I would like to be 100% sure about it.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
It will smoothly run BFV and PUBG on at least mostly highest settings with a 1080p 60hz monitor.

You would need 2 monitors that have 1 of the following- thunderbolt 3, displayport, or HDMI, but yes you could connect 2 monitors to it which would reduce performance of the gpu.

Delete bloatware and run thermal monitoring software, apply better thermal paste if needed. as long as thermals are fine and you take care of it and it has appropriate hardware there's no reason it should run slow.

the discrete mobile chips usually are clocked lower and slightly slower, average around 5fps difference.