[SOLVED] Buying a gaming PC for Oculus Quest 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hey Guys, I'm a disabled dad buying a gaming PC for my son who brought me straight A's again. Short version is a severe spinal injury, got run down by a postal truck on my Ninja, and I cant sit for hours learning about specs, if anyone is willing to tell me if the specs of this MSI custom build would be adequate for his Oculus Quest 2 gaming? My son does not play those mega-high required games you guys discuss like Witcher/Red Dead, he just needs a PC to handle his Oculus and I cant afford $2K for the top video cards. Is this adequate? Processor Model Number
Core i5-10600KF
Processor Speed
4.1 gigahertz
Storage Type
HDD, SSD
Total Storage Capacity
1240 GB
Solid State Drive CapacitySpecifications
240 GB
Hard Drive CapacitySpecifications
1000 GB
System Memory (RAM)Specifications
16 gigabytes
GraphicsSpecifications
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Operating SystemSpecifications
Windows 10

Solution
always be wary of buying any pre-built that doesn't specifically detail each component.

RAM, power supply, storage, processor cooling, motherboard, etc
are vital components that need to be trustworthy\reliable.
many times these pre-builts include the cheapest junk available aside from CPU & GPU.

if this system does come full of cheap generic or other lower-quality components you could end up spending A LOT of time over the next year dealing with support, shipping back & forth, and waiting for repairs or replacements.
I cant sit for hours learning about specs
you should look into an adjustable "standing" desk if you can't sit for long periods.

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hey Guys, I'm a disabled dad buying a gaming PC for my son who brought me straight A's again. Short version is a severe spinal injury, got run down by a postal truck on my Ninja, and I cant sit for hours learning about specs, if anyone is willing to tell me if the specs of this MSI custom build would be adequate for his Oculus Quest 2 gaming? My son does not play those mega-high required games you guys discuss like Witcher/Red Dead, he just needs a PC to handle his Oculus and I cant afford $2K for the top video cards. Is this adequate? Processor Model Number
Core i5-10600KF
Processor Speed
4.1 gigahertz
Storage Type
HDD, SSD
Total Storage Capacity
1240 GB
Solid State Drive CapacitySpecifications
240 GB
Hard Drive CapacitySpecifications
1000 GB
System Memory (RAM)Specifications
16 gigabytes
GraphicsSpecifications
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Operating SystemSpecifications
Windows 10
I should say the PC I'm buying mainly for the GTX 1660 Super as just the vid card runs about $400 now, so $950 for this seems a decent price? PS I love you guys here LOL

always be wary of buying any pre-built that doesn't specifically detail each component.

many times these pre-builts include the cheapest junk available aside from CPU & GPU.

if this system does come full of cheap generic or other lower-quality components you could end up spending A LOT of time over the next year dealing with support, shipping back & forth, and waiting for repairs or replacements.
I cant sit for hours learning about specs
you should look into an adjustable "standing" desk if you can't sit for long periods.

Solution

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

Very kind of you, thanks...pretty cool, I'd never heard of the standing desktop. I blew 10 discs in the accident and though it sounds counterintuitive, I can only stand for longer periods, sitting for the same is "impossible"

Last edited:

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Very kind of you, thanks
Love your username. I hear you about cheap components, unfortunately being on disability I have to "bargain shop" as $2K+ isn't in my price range now, I can pick up this unit for around $900..and I don't want to wait a year to see if chips come down to earth. If I "put your feet to the fire" would this suit our needs for a year? My boy just wants to play his Oculus and his Dell lappie's vid-card isn't compatible at 1050

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Very kind of you, thanks...pretty cool, I'd never heard of the standing desktop. I blew 10 discs in the accident and though it sounds counterintuitive, I can only stand for longer periods, sitting for the same is "impossible"
John Bonham, would you mind telling me what questions I need to ask about this? I've spent over a month searching for a system I can afford that will play the Oculus games. I'm sorry I'm "ignorant" about PC gaming requirements, is the power supply listed here? I don't see anything about a Wifi card or Bluetooth, won't I need a Wifi at least? Again, I'm sorry, I've tried to learn as much as I could understand without help

from the stats you listed nothing is detailed except the CPU, an Intel i5-10700KF.

if you are purchasing it directly from MSI we will assume it has an MSI motherboard
& MSI GTX 1660 S graphics card.
which motherboard model can make a huge difference in how the system operates though.

no make\model for any other components mentioned.

the power supply and memory are some of the most common items to be substituted with cheap unreliable products and some of the most common to malfunction.

whoever you are purchasing the system from;
if they do not offer a very detailed invoice or parts list
contact them directly and explain that you need a detailed invoice of all included components.
If I "put your feet to the fire" would this suit our needs for a year?
there's no way to tell.
you could get it and first firing up it could be DOA or short and die.
or it could run fine for some time or forever.

out of 20+ years of building systems i spent quite a bit of time & money on cheaper and\or unreliable components and learned my lesson early to avoid them at all costs.

i would never go with a pre-built system unless it had a very detailed explanation of ALL components.
and offered individual manufacturer warranties on each of those components.
I'd never heard of the standing desktop.
most are adjustable on-the-fly and can be easily lifted up & down from seated to standing as needed.

wyattspoppa

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
from the stats you listed nothing is detailed except the CPU, an Intel i5-10700KF.

if you are purchasing it directly from MSI we will assume it has an MSI motherboard
& MSI GTX 1660 S graphics card.
which motherboard model can make a huge difference in how the system operates though.

no make\model for any other components mentioned.

the power supply and memory are some of the most common items to be substituted with cheap unreliable products and some of the most common to malfunction.

whoever you are purchasing the system from;
if they do not offer a very detailed invoice or parts list
contact them directly and explain that you need a detailed invoice of all included components.
there's no way to tell.
you could get it and first firing up it could be DOA or short and die.
or it could run fine for some time or forever.

out of 20+ years of building systems i spent quite a bit of time & money on cheaper and\or unreliable components and learned my lesson early to avoid them at all costs.

i would never go with a pre-built system unless it had a very detailed explanation of ALL components.
and offered individual manufacturer warranties on each of those components.
most are adjustable on-the-fly and can be easily lifted up & down from seated to standing as needed.
You were absolutely correct, the seller was reluctant to give more detailed specs so I passed, may I ask if you think
this is enough "firepower" for the Oculus? With the current shortage, I can only afford a PC with a 1660 Super,
the 3000 series make for a $1500-$2000 unit and my budget is more like $1000 which can be done with a nice
pre-owned and 1660 Super
FULL SPECS: CPU: RYZEN 5 3600 6 CORE 12 THREADS 4.2GHz BOOST CPU COOLER: THERMALTAKE MOBO: GYGABYTE B45OM DS3H WIFI RAM: LEVEN SINBA DDR4 16GB 3000mhz SSD 1: WESTERN DIGITAL SN550 500GB NVMe M.2 HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ white certified CASE: COOLER MASTER MB320L CASE FANS: 3 RGB FANS WITH REMOTE CONTROL OS: WINDOWS 10 PRO ACTIVATED

may I ask if you think this is enough
need more info regarding the power supply model.
EVGA makes some low-quality unreliable versions and some high-tier nice ones.
500w is pretty low, if ever upgrading the GPU this will also need to be upgraded.

CPU cooler needs more info.
though this would be relatively easy to replace if needed.

low speed 3000MHz RAM.
higher speeds can make quite a difference in Ryzen system performance, though this can also be easily upgraded.

no need for a HDD. a large SSD is comparable in price these days for much better performance.

very low quality motherboard. low performance options and prone to overheating in gaming systems.
enough "firepower" for the Oculus?
the CPU & GPU together with a quality setup could run some Occulus games fine but the performance in a lot of them will be sub-par.
for your average 1080p gaming system this would be a good setup but the Occulus needs a bit more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.