[SOLVED] Buying a gaming router

Oct 15, 2019
Hello,

I want to ask something. My ISP gave me a wifi modem (fritzbox 7490). This modem has no bridge mode. I want to buy a gaming router but i have to connect my gaming router to the ISP modem to be able to connect to the internet. The gaming router is faster (wifi speed etc) than my wifi modem. it will also minimize lag when gaming. But my question is, will i see any difference in speed if i connect my gaming router to my wifi modem? Because my wifi modem will still connect to the gaming router? I hope someone can help me. My english isnt that good so sorry for that.

Solution
Why do you think your ISP provided device has low specs. Just because a router has can run things like 4x4 mimo and mu-mimo means little. If your end device does not also support then it will run at the low speed your device supports.

Your new router may run at the exact speed as the ISP router because of your end device.

For game you need very little bandwidth. Even the slowest wifi can support games. The problem is the wifi in general, A very clean signal with no interference will work well no matter which data encoding you use. Once you start to get interference the more advanced data coding...ie higher speeds..actually are more susceptible to errors because they are trying to put more data into the signals.

There is...
"gaming" routers is all marketing for suckers.

You should never use wifi for any online gaming. No matter which router you use all are subject to random interference from outside your house. This causes lag spikes in the games.

Games do not really care about the speed of the connection. Most uses well under 1mbit/sec. What they do care about is consistent latency. This is why any wifi is a bad choice.

Still lets say you use ethernet. All so called gaming routers do is have some preset QoS rules that try to prioritize game traffic. First QoS does nothing at all if you are not 100% utilizing you bandwidth. There is no need to favor anything if all the application are getting all they need. Next these preset gaming QoS setting really only affect the upload rates and most people having over utilization issues are killing the download side.

The so called "gaming" is just someone putting in lists of game ports etc. You can easily do this yourself on any router that has QoS. Most times if you really need the QoS you are better off configuring it yourself.

Key here is none of this stuff can fix any issues with Wifi. Your only true option if it is causing issues with your game play is to not use wifi.

Oct 15, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I think i have to explain it better. I mean when i have a cheap wifi modem with low specs and i buy and connect a router with high and good specs to my cheap wifi modem, will my connection be more stable and better? Because i have connected my cheap wifi modem to the fiber terminal and my new router to my wifi modem. So my question is, My internet will come from the fibre terminal unit to my cheap wifi modem and then to my new router, so does it matter how bad or good the connection is that is coming from my cheap wifi modem to my router? Like wil my connection improve that way if i buy a good router and connect it to my cheap wifi modem.

Why do you think your ISP provided device has low specs. Just because a router has can run things like 4x4 mimo and mu-mimo means little. If your end device does not also support then it will run at the low speed your device supports.

Your new router may run at the exact speed as the ISP router because of your end device.

For game you need very little bandwidth. Even the slowest wifi can support games. The problem is the wifi in general, A very clean signal with no interference will work well no matter which data encoding you use. Once you start to get interference the more advanced data coding...ie higher speeds..actually are more susceptible to errors because they are trying to put more data into the signals.

There is no magic solution to the wifi problem and gaming. Now if the ISP router only supports 2.4g maybe buying a router that can also run on 5g might help. It all depends on how much interference is on the 5g band. Your current ISP router has both bands and runs 3x3 mimo on both.

Still if you really want to buy another router since you will use ethernet to connect it to your ISP router the ISP router will have little impact.

So many people think ISP routers are crap. That is becoming less and less true. There really are only 3 big manufactures of wifi chipsets. Yours is made by qualcomm. When you look the specs up on your router it has exactly the same internal parts as a tplink archer c7 and the netgear r7500 both which are rated fairly highly.

Solution