Question Buying a laptop, $200 budget

Mar 26, 2020
1. What is your budget?
$200
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
anything really
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
it just needs to b portable
5. How much battery life do you need?
2hrs+
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Just GTA on normal settings
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photo and video editing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gigs, it doesn't really matter because i'm going to slap an SSD in either way
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as it lasts
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
N/A
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
N/A
13. What country do you live in?
I'm moving to Dubai for 6 months really soon and i'm hoping to pick a used decent laptop for 650 AED (thats $200) that can handle GTA and Premiere Pro
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm not going to completely depend on the laptop, i've got an i7 2600 with 16gigs of ram and a GTX 950. I only need a laptop for the portability and uni work. Cheers

EDIT: anything used will do, anything with a decent NVIDIA or an AMD gpu would be the icing on the cake when it comes to running GTA and premiere.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would seem to me that your only hope is to search used or refurbished deals that are under your pricing and then check specs to see if they will play the game you want. I would not hold breath on a budget that meager.

Mar 26, 2020
It would seem to me that your only hope is to search used or refurbished deals that are under your pricing and then check specs to see if they will play the game you want. I would not hold breath on a budget that meager.
I'm still living in the UK right now so the only thing i'm able to do was looking at a few advertisements and i found mostly 4th gen i5's for around the $180 range but it lacks a dedicated GPU, any sugguestions would be appreciated

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You would have to find an amazing deal to find a used, working laptop that would run GTA V comfortably. You really need a dedicated GPU -- the better integrated GPUs are going to be on newer laptops and thus much more expensive -- and it would be hard to find something working that cheaply. This is something you might be able to find...in 2030. I'd adjust my budget or my priorities.

I'm still living in the UK right now so the only thing i'm able to do was looking at a few advertisements and i found mostly 4th gen i5's for around the $180 range but it lacks a dedicated GPU, any sugguestions would be appreciated

Correct, that is about what you will be finding, your budget pretty much removes anything with a video card capable of playing newer games on, unless you get lucky and you find someone selling something cheap at the same time you are looking for it and it has not sold yet. For 300 you may be able to find something with like a 950m or 960m video card, for 400-500 maybe a 1050 based system.

It does happen though, I got a free 8 foot nice pool table because I happened to be looking 30 minutes after the guy listed it and was the first one to contact him. For a laptop though it's not as likely as something large that people just want out of their house.

Mar 26, 2020
Well tbh it's not that big of a deal since i already game quite heavily on my PC, i just need a laptop for college and portabilty that can at least handle basic tasks