Question Buying a Laptop Video Card in Chinese

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hello, I have a quick question about video cards.

So, my 1070 fried on my brand new laptop, I've been wanting to buy a new one for awhile. The only thing is i live in China, I don't know any websites that accept Wechat/Alipay that are in English. I can find a video card no problem, the only issue is... Do laptops need a special mini version? And if so, would anyone have any idea how to buy that? Any keywords that might be found by a search on JD or Taobao? I don't wanna buy a desktop version, find out it doesn't fit and then, oh shit, everything's in Chinese and I don't know how to return it haha.

Hell, even if there was some way to fix the video card(preferably on that doesn't involve putting it in a stove). The reason it's fried is I plugged the power cord for my portable HDD case into my USB slot by accident...

I understand this is a crazy problem lol, I was putting up with it for awhile, but kinda sucks that my 1800$ laptop has a fried video card months after buying it...

No a desktop card will not work. Which laptop do you have exactly?

Another option is if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port you could try an external GPU enclosure along with a desktop graphics card that fits in it, although the enclosures is usually 200 or 300 USD on its own then the cost of the graphics card.

How do you know the card is bad vs the motherboard being dead? From what you did, the motherboard is probably dead not just the video card.
If the laptop is new, just contact the vendor tell them it stopped working, they will go through some troubleshooting and probably will have you ship the system in under warranty.

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
No a desktop card will not work. Which laptop do you have exactly?

Another option is if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port you could try an external GPU enclosure along with a desktop graphics card that fits in it, although the enclosures is usually 200 or 300 USD on its own then the cost of the graphics card.

It's an MSI GE72MVR. A little too pricey, I can put a video card in, I just don't know how to buy one haha.

How do you know the card is bad vs the motherboard being dead? From what you did, the motherboard is probably dead not just the video card.
If the laptop is new, just contact the vendor tell them it stopped working, they will go through some troubleshooting and probably will have you ship the system in under warranty.

Because I'm on the laptop right now :/ lol, it only detects the Intel HD 630. Yeah I contacted them, they said I needed to ship it, and I don't wanna be without my laptop for like 2 months...

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Or, since it it "brand new"...this is what warranty is for.
If you disassemble and try to replace it yourself, that almost certainly screws any other warranty action int he future.
I live in china bro, it's too much of a hassle to do any returns or anything anyway haha. Also *, I just looked it up and it is soldered to the MB. Guess my only real option is... Buy a new laptop? lol