[SOLVED] Buying a new 4k TV (50hz) as a monitor for my PC ?

sheikhs

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
So i have an old 32" 720p tv on my wall in my bedroom. My PC is connected to it and i use it for gaming and work. I brought it a fair while back and i really cant remember what HZ it is at except that

I have been wanting to upgrade to a new 4k 40"-50" with HDR support for a while now and with the black friday sales here in the UK i thought it was a good time to get one.

All of the tv's ive seen however seem to have 50Hz as their refresh rate while others have 1000hz listed as their motion rate.

What is motion rate (as opposed to refresh rate) on a tv and if i do go for a 50HZ monitor will it diminish my gaming experience ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
Almost all LCDs are 50/60hz capable. Including pretty much all televisions. Only recently have true high refresh rate TVs been on the market. If you are using it as a monitor, it will probably be capable of 60hz at least.

Motion rate is probably related to something they have been doing with TVs for a while. Most TV is broadcast at 24 or 25 FPS, which doesn't evenly divide into 60hz, (though 25 goes into 50 just fine) So TVs started advertising things like 120hz or 240hz, what they were doing is processing the images at that speed and creating frames between the ones that didn't exist to create smoothing motion. Smart TVs have reasonably powerful GPUs in them to do all the math. So effectively how quickly the TV can process, not the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Almost all LCDs are 50/60hz capable. Including pretty much all televisions. Only recently have true high refresh rate TVs been on the market. If you are using it as a monitor, it will probably be capable of 60hz at least.

Motion rate is probably related to something they have been doing with TVs for a while. Most TV is broadcast at 24 or 25 FPS, which doesn't evenly divide into 60hz, (though 25 goes into 50 just fine) So TVs started advertising things like 120hz or 240hz, what they were doing is processing the images at that speed and creating frames between the ones that didn't exist to create smoothing motion. Smart TVs have reasonably powerful GPUs in them to do all the math. So effectively how quickly the TV can process, not the refresh rate of the screen itself.

If your GPU can output more than 50FPS then you will experiencing tearing, which is something you probably experienced with your 720p screen. Unless you had V-sync on, then it would be exactly 50FPS always.

HDR is pretty fancy, a lot of additional bandwidth going to the TV to have all the additional detail.

Large TVs tend to have large input lag. They are generally IPS panels with very high response times. (Monitors 1-5ms, up to 11-13 with professional monitors) TVs can have as much as 17-25ms response times.

I recommend rtings.com when looking at TVs to buy specifically for gaming.

Reactions: sheikhs
Solution