[SOLVED] Buying a new and improved Graphics card, HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
I have just received my new monitor, birthday gift. It's a MSI Optix G271. Problem is the refresh rate is 60Hz and cannot go higher. I'm of the belief that it is due to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 video card. 7 years old and not up to speed. The MOBO is a ASUS Gryphon Z87. The system seems to run fine, but I plan to start the upgrade, piece by piece. Any recommendation for a New Video card I can buy? I play FPS games, email and Youtube, the days of heavy use went with retirement several years ago. I just want to run the monitor at full usage.

Thx
John

well, depends on what games you play, if its a game like battlefield, you might want a card at around the level of a rtx 2060 to get 144fps at high details

but in other games, say, csgo valorant or similar esports titles, even a lowly 1650 super will get you 144 fps.

but if you just want hdmi 2.0/displayport 1.4 support to actually use the monitors, i believe the display port on the 760 does run 144hz@1080p, and you are just using the hdmi.
if not, any modern card (1030 or up i believe) should support hdmi 2.0.
dont quote me.

poorbugger

Distinguished
I have just received my new monitor, birthday gift. It's a MSI Optix G271. Problem is the refresh rate is 60Hz and cannot go higher. I'm of the belief that it is due to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 video card. 7 years old and not up to speed. The MOBO is a ASUS Gryphon Z87. The system seems to run fine, but I plan to start the upgrade, piece by piece. Any recommendation for a New Video card I can buy? I play FPS games, email and Youtube, the days of heavy use went with retirement several years ago. I just want to run the monitor at full usage.

Thx
John
Well eventho your graphic card is old but it's also more likely that you are only able to see 60hz due to the hdmi cable that you used from ages ago. To view 60hz or higher with hdmi, you will need hdmi 1.4 or higher. You can also use a displayport cable

I agree it's likely the cable, the 760 should support 144htz via hdmi.

That said the 760 is an old card now, it's not really going to push those kind of fps unless you go low settings on any title that's even remotely new.

What's the rest of your system, including psu?

How much do you have to spend on a GPU upgrade?

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
Well, I feel like a dummy right now! Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but, it was my problem. I did have it connected via the displayport cable, PSU was good and so was the game. What I found was that in the NVIDIA Control Panel I had the monitor set for 'Ultra HD, HD, SD 1080p, 1020 x 1080 (native)'. It seems that the max refresh rate is 66Hz. I NEVER looked down further in the list to find 'PC 1920 x 1080'. That allowed me to boost the refresh rate to 144Hz.

All looks good now and I can delay my purchase of a New and Improved Graphics card to a later date.

Again thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.