Buying a new APU Help?

haywiree

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Hi all.

I recently got some extra money to put into my laptop (300$ CAD to be exact) and I was wondering what APU I could buy. I currently have an AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 graphics.

Solution

For a desktop or to try and swap the board on your laptop? Swapping the board on your laptop is pointless as the best cpu made for your type of system that acer might have used is only 15-25% faster than your current one. You would be better off saving up for a while and getting...
That APU is soldered to the board so no APU upgrade can be done.. Graphics is on the cpu die so that also can not be upgraded. You can probably upgrade RAM, Hard Drive/SSD, and possibly the wifi if it uses a pci-e mini slot.. Also you might be able to get a better battery for your system and possibly a better screen. In the end the only things that might help are a SSD and RAM..

haywiree

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

Can you possibly recommend a motherboard and APU in the 300$ range?

For a desktop or to try and swap the board on your laptop? Swapping the board on your laptop is pointless as the best cpu made for your type of system that acer might have used is only 15-25% faster than your current one. You would be better off saving up for a while and getting a totally new laptop with an intel cpu or if amd apu a kaveri or carrizo which would all be 2X+ faster than your current laptop if not much more. In the end 8GB of ram and a SSD would help your current laptop seem faster..

Solution