Discussion Buying a new gaming laptop

Oct 28, 2020
Heya~
so first its important for me to describe my situation before all of the generic questions.
I bought an Asus Zephyrus GX501VIK a few years ago with a graphic card nvidia geforce 1080 max q.
ever since day one i had speaker issues that apparently are a known issue in asus zephyrus, basically speakers go screeching metalic sounds suddenly and won't stop until i restart my laptop.
other than that i had my battery swelling so much that it broke my keyboard so i sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery and keyboard module , a year later (aka now) the issue is back....

my main questions are is there any laptop that doesn't overheat so much after a few hours of usage? i don't mind if it heats up but if the keyboard heats up like my current one does... my fingers just go numb and it hurts.
I basically just want a laptop to run most games (i don't care if its top graphics as long as its running properly with a decent refresh rate and not heating the keyboard so much) yet staying cool.

full disclosure, i'm a bed gamer, mostly using my laptop when i'm too lazy to go for my dekstop pc (which is almost 95% of the time, so its always connected to the power supply) using cooler master SF 17 as a cooling pad (it broke down a while ago so its basically a regular pad until i buy a new one or anything better.... would love recommendations if you know anything with more cooling power)

1. What is your budget?
2k$ to 3k$ , prefer around 2k unless its a really really good upgrade

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6", i feel like 17 would be way too heavy

3. What screen resolution do you want?
FHD would be fine, anything higher is also fine by me as long as it doesn't cause any issues and works properly

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement, only reason i want a laptop is to move it from power source to power source

5. How much battery life do you need?
doesn't matter, gaming on battery is not viable anyway :/

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
mostly stuff like genshin impact or indie games, for heavy games like COD warzone i just use my desktop with 2080Ti

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
nothing of the sort, i have my working laptop for heavy loads

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
would love at least 1TB, anything less would be kinda rough to manage

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
mostly amazon, but i'm fine with any legit company from the US because i'll probably buy it while i'm flying there next month

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years at least, but i would love something that won't get its battery swelling or anything that critical, i only want to replace it once it stops supporting games (unlike my current one that i want to replace only because of my swelling battery and scorching keyboard)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
none

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
i would prefer to avoid asus for the reasons i described in the beginning, i feel like they just gave me a laptop that costed me about 3k$ yet is bugged piece of <Mod Edit>, the internet is filled with people having the same issues like me for years yet nothing like a fix...
talked to some people and they recommended me mostly dell/alienware or MSI

13. What country do you live in?
Israel, but i have a business flight next month so i'll buy it when i'm in denver

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
again, my main consideration is top notch cooling and isolation, i don't want to feel my fingers goin numb from my keyboard nor do i want a swelling battery that breaks my keyboard.
i don't care if its not "slim like mac" or any of the weird selling points for slim laptops, i just want a properly cooled and isolated laptop so if it means having a laptop on the thicker side i'm fine with it.

Thanks for the help, hopefully you'll manage to help me out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS