Question Buying a new gaming PC with £2000+ budget

Oct 13, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: Within this month or extending to next month. But some parts I'd like to take advantage of the Amazon day sales.

Budget Range: £2200 - £2500 including monitor

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming, Gaming, Watching Movies, General Browsing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard, CPU, RAM, GFX Card, SSD, Powersupply, Monitor

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon UK, eBuyer.com, Scan.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk (not opposed to anywhere else reputable and happy to buy certain components used or from things like amazon warehouse)

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU's >

Overclocking: No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Either a 4k 60hz (if I get a rtx 3080) or a 2560 x 1440 IPS 144hz 1ms

Additional Comments: I have a good case so not necessary to replace

Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've been using a laptop for the last 5 years since I didn't really have room or the need for a desktop. Now that I've been moved to permanent WFH and do have room for it, I need one.

List of any parts you have already selected (just ideas atm, if you have better suggestions let me know):

CPU:
5900X 5th Nov? Alternatively AMD Ryzen 3900XT Processor (£438 - £550)
CPU Cooler: [any recommendations?]
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) (£200)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz, DDR4, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16 (£138)
Storage: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD With Heatsink (£143)
Graphics Card: either a 3080 if I get lucky or a 2070 Super? - unsure about this though
Power Supply: some 850w, not sure which is best.
Monitor: something like ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU (£480 - £512)
Mouse: ?
Headphones: ?
Keyboard: ?
Current Total: £1399 - £1481

Thanks for any input, If anyone has any better recommendations, Thanks again!

Oct 13, 2020
Does the software you use take advantage of that many cores/threads? The 2070s vs a 3080 is quite the performance gap. Also the 3070 is coming at the end of the month.

Individually, probably not that many cores. As for threads, multi-threading with that many threads should be taken advantage of at compilation with any of the IDE's I use, probably.

Yeah, I'm wanting to get a 3XXX graphics card but with scalpers etc. I don't know how realistic it is to assume I'll get one.

TRENDING THREADS